Thread: Recommend a good book on picture frame designs

Recommend a good book on picture frame designs

I am looking for a recommendation on a good book for picture frame designs. I have been asked to create a number of picture frames of various sizes and would like to make something more elegant than a simple ogee-edged frame.

Phillip, I've done a lot of frames for friends and family. I've not found a good book that focuses on design as you describe, so hope you get some good suggestions. The best one I have is "Picture Framing for the First Time" by Lee Bartholomew. But I think you might get good ideas from actual pre-made frame catalogs.
    PS Eagle America has some picture-frame-profile router bits that might be of interest.

Blog Entries
    No help on books but, take a look at your router bits. Imagine what you could develop if you stacked the profiles.

Jan's Frames (4).jpg . Jan's Frames (7).jpg

Spice things up with some inlay.

5X5 Frame (16).jpg

Add some decorative elements.

Frame Nails (1).jpg

Or go "style" heavy with Greene and Greene, mission or other classic style.

D&D-finished-2.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a selection of router bits but a better collection of shaper cutters and Euroblock knives, most of which are multiple-profile on top and bottom, and reversible. That's not the issue, I am trying to get some design inspiration to figure out how to stack those profiles and make something pretty rather than just scrap wood.

Phillip, google “picture frame profiles” and click on the “images” tab. You will find many different profile examples from simple to very complex.

Here’s an example of one image from that search:

127C9311-EE4E-4888-A680-A3829958C2FD.jpeg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 01-27-2019 at 3:53 PM.

Personally, I love the clean look of jointless picture / mirror frames by lowering the panel into and plunging the t-saw blade through the veneer ply or decorative panel then jig sawing the inside corners to disconnect the inner pc. Makes clean architectural looking frames, and in a fraction of the time. Use the inner cutout for a smaller frame.

Mgny-full-comp-ntx.jpgDune-silverBoro-med-1280.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.