Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utility/craft blades for marking knives?

Blog Entries
    Actually, you can rotate the handle of the utility knife until the side of the blade against the try square is vertical.

I’ve used xacto #24 blades for years. I grind the back to a single bevel. #11s are okay but a little light and sharp tipped will follow grain on occasion. I have other knives to use. These are no worry knives. If they get damaged you just toss them. I have one right and one left. I think I been using the same blades for at least 5 years, just give them a rub once in a while.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you consider a kiridashi knife (ryukora)?

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    This is probably a blatant newbie question, but what the heck

I've been gifted a couple marking knives over the last few years... one a Lee Valley double-bevel spear point knife, and the other a Narex. Neither seem particular sharp to begin with, and have been kind of a PITA to sharpen after the fact (what can I say, I suck at free-hand sharpening).

I've watched a few videos (Paul Sellars, Matt Estlea) and noted the knives they were using seemed to be relatively simple craft knives with disposable blades - awesome! Except those particular models are a bit harder to come by here stateside

Out of frustration the other day when I was practicing some cuts in the shop, I grabbed a folding utility knife that I'd picked up on a whim at the box store some time back. With a fresh blade, and being a little more skinny up front than most utility knives, it felt great and more importantly, for the first time I actually felt like I was really slicing a line across the fibers without having to bear down on the tool.

Which got me wondering... is there a reason *not* to use a utility or craft knife for marking lines? Something I'm missing here, besides being razor sharp all the time, easy to make sharp again (pitch the old blade and install a new one), and generally cheaper than anything short of a home-made marking knife?
    I went to a kiridashi knife and I primary as a marking knife but as times goes by more and more it is also my utility knife at the shop. Super sharp and easy to re-sharp. I was really surprised as it is also ergonomic although its simple and direct design. I purchased mine from amazon (link).
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

+1 on the kiridashi.
    I got mine from Stan, and it's sublime.

Cheaper options can be bought from Iida tools on eBay, or the Murphy mill knife refill. Hock also makes a good one.

As for sharpening...try having a ceramic pocket stone on you. Makes quick work of an edge

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    I got the Stanley 10-049 folding craft knife that Paul uses and have been very happy with it. The stanley replacement blades are very expensive. Paul pointed out that the knife also uses a standard disposable blade that is sold in bulk as surgeon's scalpel blades. A box of 50 replacement blades cost about $20. I'm set for a very long time.
    I'd originally been looking to get the SM00 handle, and ordered a pack of the SM01 blades off Amazon... only to find that the SM00 handle is apparently only available in the USA from exactly *one* supplier, Chicago Surgical, which tacks on a ridiculous surcharge for orders going to 'residential' addresses. Nothing that I couldn't cough up if I had to, but it irks me on general principal.

I ended up ordering a 10-049, and it should be arriving Friday or thereabouts. If it does indeed take the same SM01 pattern blades that I have sitting on my bench, then I'm all set

6. I don't know of any two woodworkers who use the same marking knife. It seems to be a personal preference unlike any other.

That said, this is the one I use:
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...44&cat=1,42936