Thread: Grizzly vs Shop Fox

Grizzly vs Shop Fox

My understanding, right or wrong (?) is that Shop Fox is made by Grizzly. If that is true, what are the differences between the products..? Is one the cadillac and the other a chevy?

Thanks, Bill

The primary difference is that ShopFox is offered in independent retailers via Woodstock International (also a Grizzly company) in addition to through Grizzly, whereas "Grizzly-green" is only available direct from Grizzly. Many of the tools are very similar; there may be some differences other than the color and badging, but the features are clearly spelled out usually and you should choose which one will best meet your needs. I personally, if I were buying, would prefer the color of the Shop Fox, but that's really not a practical thing when you break things down.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shop Fox usually has a 2 year warranty vs 1 year with Grizzly. Sometimes there are minor features that are slightly different.

Technically, neither is MADE by Grizzly. They are both imported by Grizzly.

Grizzly and Shop Fox both advertise in Woodshop News (a monthly trade magazine). The Grizzly ads generally list the price. Shop Fox ads never do. I think mostly you're paying for the white paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    That's kind of a dance, honestly, because almost everyone does contract manufacture these days, at least in the mass market, but they do pick their factories and have their own folks involved on-site with QC and other important functions.

Cary, good point about the warranty provisions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim on the point of I generally prefer to choose Shop Fox due liking the color A LOT more, but I would also add IMO and from the tools I have compared Shop Fox tools seem to have a slightly better fit and finish. Cast iron tables seems to be finished better, paint seems to be better, stuff like that.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    And a Ford F-150 is an American truck . Not many manufacturers are sole source providers anymore. I'm sure there are folks on here making parts for someone else's products.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler