Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Essentials? Sad and funny.

When I was growing up, a lot of the older boys, myself included, drove old pickup trucks with hunting weapons in racks and ammunition on board and we parked on school grounds. We never hid the fact and nobody thought a thing about. Even so, schools were a lot safer then than they are today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    When I was growing up, a lot of the older boys, myself included, drove old pickup trucks with hunting weapons in racks and ammunition on board and we parked on school grounds. We never hid the fact and nobody thought a thing about. Even so, schools were a lot safer then than they are today.
    Part, you just hit on a pet peeve of mine. Kids today don’t know how to manage risk. We cocoon them from every possible risk. Then, when they hit 16, we hand them the keys to a 3,000 lb high speed gathering ram and tell them to have a nice life.

you growing up with the guns in the truck tells me that you handled risk at an early age and grew up with it. I suspect your early experience has served you well.

we educated our daughter by teaching her SCUBA. Very manageable risk but potentially deadly if you make the right combination of stupid decisions.

end of rant.

Yup.. and most younger kids had a pocket knife.

The good old days.

I never recall any trouble back then... maybe some occasional "Hoodlum", but not at Schools.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me