Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Essentials? Sad and funny.

School Essentials? Sad and funny.

Saw this at my local Lowes. Not sure what to think.
    Pepper.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nothing funny about it, as it is a far too common occurrence on too many campuses.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, I suppose ironic would have been a better word than funny. The problem is not funny; the marketing of pepper spray as "school supplies" struck me as unusual.

Same philosophy of there being a hue and cry back in the former times when teachers would lock the door to keep kids from sneaking out. Now they're considering putting additional security measures on the doors to keep disgruntled students (past and present) out.
    I have far more commentary, but will refrain at this point.

I think many schools ban pepper spray, along with knives, guns, and a few other things, because kids tend to use the pepper spray as a joke on other kids and not for protection in an emergency (example, an assault).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Probably a mistake for High Schools........................Might be a good idea for College Girls IMHO.

For those sending girls away to College, a talk about leaving parties alone and not putting your drink down where somebody could put something in it and not taking a beer that someone hands you unless you saw it opened is in order. I sent 3 daughters to college and sadly there are creepers out there.
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 01-26-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Public school kid will face expulsion for a dangerous weapon. Did I mention I was in the jury pool for a 25 year old with a concealed meat cleaver. He was claiming it did not met the legal definition of a concealed weapon. I have no idea where he had it concealed.
    bill D.

If I thought that kind of protection might be needed, I would not allow my child to go to such a school.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    If I thought that kind of protection might be needed, I would not allow my child to go to such a school.
    Art, with respect, almost any school can be like that today.
    Would you have the same reaction if your daughter had condors in hegr purse when going out on a date?
    Last edited by Aaron Rosenthal; 01-26-2019 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Would you have the same reaction if your daughter had condors in hegr purse when going out on a date?
    I dunno, I don't think anyone would mess with a woman that kept condors in her purse . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Flamone LaChaud View Post
    I dunno, I don't think anyone would mess with a woman that kept condors in her purse . . .

LOL, that made this morning way better!

I am blessed to live in an area of the USA that I is still civilized. If I lived in a more metropolitan area, I would be more concerned, not just with personal safety but also with what they are being taught in schools (if anything). While my children were still minors, they were required to adhere to a rather strict and old fashioned moral code. This kept them safe in most circumstances. They are both in their thirties now and have thanked me many time for preventing them from making life changing mistakes that they were to young to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Last edited by Art Mann; 01-27-2019 at 10:04 AM.

"Blessed" %#'mn?@! automatic spell check replacement programs!
    Missed THAT one!
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I can't believe that pepper spray still exist, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think many schools ban pepper spray, along with knives, guns, and a few other things, because kids tend to use the pepper spray as a joke on other kids and not for protection in an emergency (example, an assault).

Mike
    Funny you mention that. I had 2 buddies in high school pull a stupid one like that. One guy was a big strong, heavy fella. The other guy was "1 quart short of a full oil change" - but he had some tear gas. One Saturday night after a party, the big guy kept badgering the guy with the tear gas to "shoot me".
    Well, he finally did.

I stopped running with those guys after that. Sure hope niether of them ever had children.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”