Thread: Safety of turning and sanding resin molds

Blog Entries

Safety of turning and sanding resin molds

I'm considering investing in some equipment to make resin castings to turn.
    Compared to wood turning and sanding, how dangerous is turning and sanding these types of materials?

Same precautions should be taken - good eye protection, lung protection, and sharp tools. But if the resin is done properly, it's no different than turning and sanding/finishing any hard wood.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamone LaChaud View Post
    Same precautions should be taken - good eye protection, lung protection, and sharp tools. But if the resin is done properly, it's no different than turning and sanding/finishing any hard wood.
    Thanks, Flamone. I was wondering about the hazards of breathing the dust compared to saw dust.
    I've watched videos of people turning resin castings with no obvious precautions, some don't even look like they have dust collection running.
    I know sawdust can become permanately lodged in lung tissue. I have developed sensitivity to it from when I first started turning and used nothing more than a paper mask. Got very ill from it and now just a few minutes of just sawing a piece of wood makes me cough at night.
    Thought I'd try resin with wood embedded to see if I'm as sensitive.

I'm also looking for suggestions as to what vacuum pump and canister to start out with. Something that does the job without a lot of useless add-ons.

For a short while I worked on an assembly line about 35-40 feet away from a guy who had to grind clearance on some kind of resin shroud and the smell was so bad I could almost feel my liver hurting.
    Thankfully they moved me to another station after just one day.
    After 34 years in a number of machine shops I know I have breathed in some pretty nasty stuff.
    Cutting oil smoke was one of the worst.

Personally I've been good with the 3m mask with the replaceable filters on each side, mainly because if I need more filtration, I just buy the filters that handle fumes as well as dust. Can't remember if I have the 6100 or the 6300 . . . but I've not had any issues.

Hi, if you’re talking about epoxy resin you should do some in-depth research and talk to knowledgeable people from the resin manufacturer.

Epoxy is a known sensitizer, you should take warnings about contact with it seriously.....Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, if you’re talking about epoxy resin you should do some in-depth research and talk to knowledgeable people from the resin manufacturer.

Epoxy is a known sensitizer, you should take warnings about contact with it seriously.....Regards, Rod
    Yup, what Rod is saying. I'd be REAL careful........ I think it's a big problem.
    Be safe, above all.
    Kyle

Turning cast epoxy resin shouldn't be a problem; the stuff peels away in long strands, not anything that could get in your lungs. Sometimes wraps around your spindle and tail stock, though.

Sanding could be a problem, as you could be breathing plastic dust. I usually put a fairly powerful drum fan behind me when I'm sanding at the lathe, blowing the dust away from me, toward the outside. My turning shed is fairly open, with barn doors at the side of the lathe, and a garage door at its head end. So there is never a build-up of dust-laden air, just lots of fresh air being blown in through the barn doors, and out the garage door.

If I sand any 2 part epoxy resin without taking precautions I will get a severe rash on my face, around my eyes mainly, takes about 2 weeks for it to go away. I take precautions now that I know this.

Blog Entries
    I use a 3M 7503, but I'm wondering if it would be wise to add charcoal pre-filters.