Thread: 1987 Delta Unisaw 34-801f

1987 Delta Unisaw 34-801f

I have the opportunity to buy a Delta Unisaw 34-801f serial number is 87c, so made in 1987, 1.5hp 120/240, Biesemeyer fence. Wants $900. What do you all think?

It better be really nice for $900.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Mike that is a real good saw with a great fence. The only fence I like better is a Unifence. That said the price is probably a bit high,considering it only has a 1.5 h.p. motor. For that money I personally would want a 3 h.p. motor and the saw would have to be in great shape. I live in Alberta and we do not have as many used tools as some areas seem to,but I have bought two good Unisaws here for under $300. Those prices are not the norm here however, closer to 500 with some guys wanting up to 1000 is the general range.

Mike -- $900 is top dollar for the saw . I sold a 1990 that I bought new with a UniFence and Jointtech crosscut sled 1.5 hp motor and 5 Forrest blades and Forrest dado set for $850 .
    The Biesemeyer fence is a great fence.
    Possibly make a lower offer and ask the person if they would deliver the saw and help set it up, if the saw is not a great distance away.
    I used an 8inch blade on my 1.5 motor Unisaw , 8" is much easier to work around and runs quieter - the tip speed RPM is greater on an 8" blade easily cut any oak or hardwoods with it.
    You can always put a 10" inch blade on it when needed - an 8" blade is much safer to work around IMHO.

You've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, it's top dollar price. I think he is including a 6" Freud dado set and a couple other blades. He does have a Delta 1.5hp dust collector for sale too, maybe I can make a package deal.

FYI it's either this or a new $1000 table saw (maybe Grizzly G0771Z). I've been in the market and only have a cheap jobsite saw, no dado or nice blades.

Make an offer . You are looking for a saw and even if he says no ,nothing changes you will still be looking. If he accepts you can buy this saw. What do you have to loose ?

I asked if he could come down on price or otherwise entice me. He has a Delta 1.5hp canister and bag dust collector for sale too that he'll throw in with delivery to my place for 1100. I keep seeing people buying these saws for 500ish... I'm going to include a few pictures so I you can better help me make my decision.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks nice, but I think it's too high. You won't get a saw that nice for $500, but it's not worth $900 either, imo. I'd offer $700, and wouldn't go over $750.
    Fwiw, I paid $1500 sometime around 1993-1995 for a new 3HP Unisaw with Unifence.
    Gerry

JointCAM

The saw looks real good. Offer him 950 with the collector. I do not think you would regret buying it for the rest of your life.. There is a mobile base and outfeed table in the pics ,also the miter gauge is there as well. At the end of the day it is your money and only you can decide how to spend it. Good luck,Mike.

Offered 950 for everything including the 4x8 maple outfeed table and dust collector and he accepted. I'm going to go take it all apart this week and he'll haul it to my place for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kent borcherding View Post
    I used an 8inch blade on my 1.5 motor Unisaw , 8" is much easier to work around and runs quieter - the tip speed RPM is greater on an 8" blade easily cut any oak or hardwoods with it.
    I believe that tip speed at a given rpm is greater on a 10" blade than it can be on an 8" blade. The circumference of a 10 inch blade is larger therefore to complete one revolution the tooth is traveling farther than the tooth at an 8" circumference at that same rpm.

With that being said I run 10" blades in my 1-1/2 hp saw cutting oak and hickory with no problems. My Freud blades are relatively quiet.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-28-2019 at 1:09 PM.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I bought the saw, dust collector and outfeed table. I took the fence, rails, top, motor cover and motor out of the unit and it made it much more manageable. Man the top is heavy but not nearly as heavy as the 3'x8'x2" solid maple outfeed table! The saw looks really really good with nothing missing. When I get everything set up I'll post some pictures.

Thanks again

Mike