Thread: new G0632Z review

new G0632Z review

What. A. Machine.

Mind you, I'm upgrading from an early '80s Delta gap bed lathe with an ever-so-slightly-bent shaft and worn-to-where-it-won't-align tailstock, but I'm thoroughly impressed. I originally intended to get the G0766, but the additional $700 just wasn't in my budget. My requirements were minimum 16" throw, outboard turning ability, min speed around 100rpm, and out-the-door price around $1700. I haven't been able to find a decent used lathe in this price range, and the G0632Z was the only new model I could find that met all my requirements. The also-new G0838 was very close, but the short bed length wouldn't allow me to turn table legs. A generous SMC brother shared a 10% off coupon, which allowed me to also get a thread adapter (so I don't have to immediately replace my faceplates and chucks) and the outboard bowl rest and stay within budget.

Before I could even turn it on I had to run 220 juice to that wall of my shop. My breaker box was out of room, so after reading all I could on the best, code-friendly approach I decided to leave my DC on a dedicated circuit and run my planer, bandsaw and lathe all on the same 20A circuit. The bandsaw is the only one of the 3 that might ever be used while one of the others is running, and 20A is plenty to handle any two of these tools at one time. I also took the opportunity to add a new 110v circuit specifically for my larger tools and so I would have outlets on my lathe wall without having to run an extension cord. Now I have a circuit for bench tools, battery chargers, and my shop fridge, and another for the table saw, jointer, air filter, etc, plus I now have power in my shed addition where I didn't before. Now I can use every stationary tool in my shop without using any extension cords, where before it was required for ALL of them! Next wiring project - LED lights. This is all worth mentioning if only to point out that I had the lathe assembled and ready to plug in almost an entire week before my electrical upgrades were far enough along for me to even be able to plug it in, and that the effort made my first turning experience all the more enjoyable.

As for the lathe - it was packaged well. Everything was bolted together securely in a steel frame. I used alternating ratchet straps hung from the rafters to hoist the lathe body high enough to where I could set it on the legs and bolt everything together without any danger of it falling. Assembly was simple - 4 bolts into each leg, scoot it into place, then install and level the feet. The included accessory plate can be bolted onto either side and I'm sure will be appreciated more as I get used to it.

First impression. Fit and finish are fine. Not amazing, but fine. I didn't really have any expectations so it didn't fail to meet them. I was suprised, however, that the ways were not smoother. They aren't rough per se and seem to be perfectly straight and of the proper dimensions, but there was no sanding or polishing to remove the machine marks. Not a big deal, just worth noting. The packing grease was easy to wipe off with some liquid wrench and seemed to only be on the ways and small, packaged parts (bolts, inserts, etc). Drive and live centers match up well enough. Maybe 1/2mm or less one way or another between the two, but may be worth tweaking closer to perfection in the future. Not sure about expected tolerance since my only other lathe experience was far worse. The tailstock does have a bit of side to side play when unlocked, but locks securely. The bearing surface on the tool rest was painted and rough, which was easy enough to smooth out with a file and some 320 grit paper. The spec sheet says the post is 25mm - same as the G0766. I've read that many G0766 owners have drilled this out to 1" as that size has more aftermarket options. Nice to know I can go that path later if needed. All in all everything was perfectly acceptable for a woodworking machine.

The giant bowl rest is a unique design that favors sturdy over adjustable. You more or less slide the headstock to the middle and rotate it to face you (has a spring-loaded pin with detents where they should be, plus a locking lever). The rest is then bolted around the headstock. You have to loosen both bolts and the 4 tool rest locking screws to adjust, then lock it all back down. However, it is very sturdy and seems perfectly suitable for bowls/platters up to 30" or so. Eventually I may replace the nuts with levers so installation/adjustment can be mostly toolless. The tool rest is a simple piece of angle iron with the same rough paintjob as the main rest. It got the same treatment and cleaned up nicely. I haven't had the occasion to use it yet, but it appears to be very capable.

The drive shaft is belt-driven with only two possible positions for low and high speed ranges. To change speed range, just loosen a bolt and lift the handle to release belt tension, then slide the belt over. The manual says to unplug the machine before attempting. This note is not just for the lawyers. What it SHOULD say is that the small circuit board just inside the belt access door WILL SHOCK YOU if you happen to touch it while the machine isn't unplugged. It was not a 220v shock, but nevertheless unpleasant. You've been warned!

The specs say the low speed is 100rpm, but mine will turn as slowly as 30-40rpm. It seems to have a high speed governor that reduces the speed if you push it above ~3100-3200rpm. The motor fan kicks on/off automatically. It is the loudest noise the machine makes, but not unbearable. For long sessions I will probably opt for my ISOtune earbuds over the shop stereo just to reduce the steady whine of it. Still - far better than the low hum of my old Delta, which was amplified by the sheet steel motor cabinet. My wife could hear/feel that lathe running down at the house - ~200' away! This one is MUCH quieter. It comes up to speed slowly in both forward and reverse. You can choose to 'turn it on' by rotating the speed knob, flipping the direction switch, or any combination of the two. There's also an emergency stop button that kills drive power, but does not have a brake.

My first application was to finish a couple of 2yo roughed-out bowls. These were not large bowls, but I was surprised by the steady power. Even a heavy scraping cuts didn't seem to put any strain on the motor. However, one of the bowls was out-of-round enough to elicit some wobbling around 600rpm. I intend to turn much larger and out-of-rounder pieces, so I think it will be a good idea to bolt the legs to the slab once I'm sure it is exactly where I want it to be. A new-to-me feature was the ability to flip a bowl around without it immediately being out of round. If you've never had the pleasure of turning with a bent shaft this may seem obvious, but I'm still shocked at the actual difference and know that I've only scratched the surface of discovering the implications of this new level of precision.

All things considered this was a huge upgrade from what I had before. I may eventually find things I don't like about it and I do have some tweaks planned, but for now I'm very pleased with my purchase and my out-of-the-box results. I would highly recommend this lathe for its price point, features, and build quality.

I will post some pictures maybe this evening when I have more time.

Congrats on the new machine!

3. The G0632has been a workhorse for several years in the 16” class lathes, and comes with a 2 hp motor, which is beefy for a 16” class. It is a clone of the Jet 1642 evs, and has pretty much the same features, with the addition that the headstock rotates 90 degrees from the bed. A nice feature. If you have not joined the Grizzly Green Monster Group, I’d like to invite you to do so. Lots of good info from Grizzly owners there. At the top of the page look for the “community’ tab, click, the “groups”. And you will see it. Pics are welcome, also.

One note...if you decide to go with Robust toolrests, they can make them with the 25mm posts, bit enlarging the hole by only .004 is so easy, it is the thing to do in my opinion. Use a 1” twist drill bit, a little oil to lubricate and have the bit spinning slowly as you enter the cut to keep the bit from being grabby on the banjo neck.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for taking the time to do this review. I'm considering a new lathe and this wasn't on my list (other Grizzly lathes are), but will need to add it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    One note...if you decide to go with Robust toolrests, they can make them with the 25mm posts, bit enlarging the hole by only .004 is so easy, it is the thing to do in my opinion. Use a 1” twist drill bit, a little oil to lubricate and have the bit spinning slowly as you enter the cut to keep the bit from being grabby on the banjo neck.
    I don't understand the .004 number. 25mm=.984" 25.4mm=1.000" So you have to enlarge the hole .016" or .4mm

6. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I don't understand the .004 number. 25mm=.984" 25.4mm=1.000" So you have to enlarge the hole .016" or .4mm
    Sorry about that, I pulled that number from my faulty memory, from a couiple years back or so, and you are correct about the .4mm, Richard. I misplaced the decimal point, so .......my bad! Still an easy adjustment if someone wants to undertake it. Thanks for the correction!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Roger - maybe it was just the G0838 that I read somewhere was new. I honestly was so set on the G0766 I could easily have plumb overlooked this model. But after much soul searching i figured 16” was sufficient for 90% of what I will turn and the outboard rest makes up the difference.

I will have to check out the GMG. Thanks for the lead.

Wes when you say "Giant tool rest" are you referring to the optional Bowl turning tool rest?

One of the few things I don't like about my G0766 is the tool rest is cast. I've repeatedly smoothed it out but it always feels rough. I've been lazy but sooner or later I'm going to upgrade to a nicer one that has a harden steel surface for the tools. When I bought my lathe Grizzly had a coupon code that brought the price less than your limit including shipping. Then the tariff happened (I received it days before it took effect). I'm not sure now after the price increase. I started off looking at the G0462 but the slowest speed was still way too fast. Everyone I talked with said that you could add variable speed to it and it made for a nice lathe. But to do that would of cost as much, if not more than the G0632Z. Suddenly my budget jumped up. It wasn't that much of a jump and with the discount (I calculated it out to be about 18%) to the G0766. I don't think you are going to find that down the road you wished you got the G0766. Sure turning the headstock to do outboard turning is a little bit of work but not enough to me to justify the price difference now.

10. The stock toolrest on the Jet lathes is a cast rest, and so is the stock rest that came on the Powermatic 3520b's. Cast rests make for a lathe to be able to reach a price point, and I upgraded to Robust Rests years ago with my former G0698, and then when I got the G0766 I had to get new ones with longer posts. I still use the stock rest on my G0766 occasionally, but a premium rest made from steel with the drill rod welded along the top will cost a good bit more.

Now, my G0800 toolrest has a 1" wide x 1/4" thick piece of bar stock turned on its side and welded to the toolrest body, and it looks like the Robust rests as far as the slick drill rod on top, as the bar has rounded machining to look like its a rod, only it is far beefier than a rod, and I use it all the time.

I don't think we can expect a lathe to have all premium features for a moderate price. I liken it to wanting to purchase a Roll Royce on a Volkswagen budget......it would be nice, but the world just does not work that way. The cast rests are fully functional, but do require a touch up with a file if it gets dinged with a big catch. Normal operation.

In favor of the G0766, it does have a more advanced M series Delta Inverter/motor combo on it, [3 hp] and mine has worked flawlessly for 3+ years with pretty heavy usage. I feel I got a great lathe for the money and one that has served me very well. I have cored on it, turned big wood on it, and it has done everything I have asked of it, and done it well.

Wes, I'm sorry if I hijacked this thread, it wasn't my intention. I'm not complaining. I never expected my G0766 to be an equal to an American Beauty. I expect that I would have to make upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    Wes when you say "Giant tool rest" are you referring to the optional Bowl turning tool rest?
    Yes, the accessory bowl rest is a bolt-on behemoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Wes, I'm sorry if I hijacked this thread, it wasn't my intention. I'm not complaining. I never expected my G0766 to be an equal to an American Beauty. I expect that I would have to make upgrades.
    Not at all! I'm still quite happy with my purchase and don't feel that I made a bad decision at all Re: the G0766.

Here are a few pics for those interested...

Me and my boys by the big green warehouse in Springfield with the new lathe strapped down and ready for the ride home. My father-in-law also had me pick up a new planer/moulder - that's the box on top.
    new lathe11.JPG

This is my old Delta lathe as I was moving it.
    old lathe1.JPG

Clean-ish and ready to move the new lathe in.
    old lathe2.JPG

Here she is! Assembled and ready for me to install new outlets.
    new lathe3.JPG

This is about as low as she will go...
    new lathe5.JPG

This is the bowl rest just kinda propped on the ways. In use the headstock would be between the 'legs' of the rest and rotated to face the rest.
    new lathe6.JPG

This is the tool rest after I filed and sanded it. When doing high-angle shear scraping my gouge tended to catch in the casting flaws. Only the deepest one remains, but it shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    new lathe7.JPGAttachment 402309
    Last edited by Wes Ramsey; 01-29-2019 at 3:11 PM.