Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From Grizzly G0513X2F to Mimimax MM16 (2005 era model)

From Grizzly G0513X2F to Mimimax MM16 (2005 era model)

Would the minimax be considered an upgrade? I have the grizzly and have an opportunity on what looks to be an excellent condition MM16 that is possibly a 2005 model. Would this saw offer any upgrade or would it be comparable? My current saw is fine mind you but wasn’t sure if there might be a reason to consider the minimax.

With a hammer jointer/planer and Felder saw as recent acquisitions I had planned to update the band saw in the future to a similar level machine but was thinking of an 18” model. Not sure if this minimax fits the upgrade bill.

Thanks for any input.

Greg, what do you feel the MM16 will you get you that you can’t do now on the current machine?

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Greg, what do you feel the MM16 will you get you that you can’t do now on the current machine?

Erik
    no clue. That’s why I’m asking. LOL. This is the older 3.6hp model so maybe prior to 2004. It may not do anything better than my newer grizzly but that’s why I’m curious. I’m selling my Powermatic and this saw was mentioned in way of trade so it made me want to find out. I’m thinking it wouldn’t be enough different than my grizzly to consider it. My thoughts on an 18 or 20 inch Saw was greater throat and resaw with euro build quality like my new machines.

then again maybe this saw adds stiffer spine, more mass and 1/2” more resaw. But not sure on those things given the age.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Do you just have new machine-itis? Nothing wrong with that. My Seiko and Citizen watches serve me fine but if someone offered me a deal on a Rolex, I’d consider it. Not because I need a Rolex but because I always wondered what it would be like to own one.

Erik

Not at all. That’s why the bandsaw was a possible future upgrade. Don’t know that I would ever get to that point or if I would see any benefit quite honestly. As mentioned my 17 is working fine. It was just something I needed to consider since it was offered. After finding specs and details online on the older MM16 machines, I don’t think it would offer any real advantage for my use but wondered if anyone would point out something I missed. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Do you just have new machine-itis? Nothing wrong with that. My Seiko and Citizen watches serve me fine but if someone offered me a deal on a Rolex, I’d consider it. Not because I need a Rolex but because I always wondered what it would be like to own one.

Erik
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-25-2019 at 1:56 PM.

If I read the specs. right your Grizzly has a 2 HP motor. That would be a big step up on the MM to 3.6, and would likely saw much quicker on thick stock. The MM may also be able to handle a 1" blade and that would allow you to use a 1.3 tpi blade if you wanted to. The Grizzly is rated up to a 1" blade but most times manufacturers overstate the maximum size blade that can be used, or at least the saw can't put what I consider adequate tension (25 K psi) on the widest rated blade. So maybe the MM can run a 1" blade while the Grizzly probably can't. If you want to resaw efficiently a 1.3 tpi blade is significantly faster than one with 2 tpi, the coarsest I think you can get with a 3/4" one.

If none of this matters to you - stick with the Grizzly and satisfy some other tool lust.

John

I'd also feel more confident in the rating of the motor on the Minimax than a Chinese built motor.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'd also feel more confident in the rating of the motor on the Minimax than a Chinese built motor.

It is not a Chinese made motor. It is a motor certified by CSA (look that up) …………………………...sheesh!!!!

Plus the Grizzly machine is made in an ISO 9001 certified factory. All specs are correct and it handles the size of blade as listed.

Greg, if the MM16 has the 12" re-saw height, it's identical to mine. It's been an excellent saw. I really cannot offer a comparison to the other unit you mention as I'm not familiar with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for clarifying that Shiraz. I wasn’t questioning my Grizzly as it has served me just fine so far. I was just wondered if the MM16 would really be a step up. That said, I didn’t make the trade and am instead selling my table saw for cash. So the grizzly will continue to hold a spot in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    It is not a Chinese made motor. It is a motor certified by CSA (look that up) …………………………...sheesh!!!!

Plus the Grizzly machine is made in an ISO 9001 certified factory. All specs are correct and it handles the size of blade as listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Greg, if the MM16 has the 12" re-saw height, it's identical to mine. It's been an excellent saw. I really cannot offer a comparison to the other unit you mention as I'm not familiar with it.
    Not sure. Owner said it was a 2005 with 16”, but it has the 3.6hp motor. Regardless, the price made it not work for a trade so he is just buying my saw outright. I’ll keep my grizzly for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Not sure. Owner said it was a 2005 with 16”, but it has the 3.6hp motor. Regardless, the price made it not work for a trade so he is just buying my saw outright. I’ll keep my grizzly for now.
    Ok, that was the "transitional" version that had the same motor as mine, but had the increased re-saw height, so 2005 is about right because mine was bought in 2004, if I'm not mistaken. They subsequently kicked it up to the larger motor.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ok, that was the "transitional" version that had the same motor as mine, but had the increased re-saw height, so 2005 is about right because mine was bought in 2004, if I'm not mistaken. They subsequently kicked it up to the larger motor.
    Honestly the 3.6 motor would be better for me as it would fit my 20amp service but regardless the price was too far out there for me to justify it right now. Need to recoup from the new saw first.

Okay, more info. Turns out it is a 2005 model with 16” resaw, 4.8hp motor, mobility kit and appears to be in good shape. I’m guessing this would make for a pretty good upgrade from my 17” even though the thread depth would be a little smaller.

The motor plate shows 20.8 max amp. That means 30amp circuit, right?

Yes, the 4.8hp motor requires a 30 amp circuit. That's the motor in both my J/P and my slider. Given the specs, it's the follow-on version from the transitional one I mentioned. It's a good tool. Again, I cannot personally compare it to your current saw, however.
    --