Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry Door Shaper Cutter set, Tongue and Groove

Entry Door Shaper Cutter set, Tongue and Groove

Hello All,

I was looking for a set of entry door/passage door tongue and groove cutter set. I know I can use an adjustable groover and a set of tenon cutters but I'd like to see what is available. I'm a bit surprised that there are not a lot available at least in my search I've not found any. I guess because most builders use the set I mentioned above.

Any suggestions on what you use or what you might have seen?

Thank you
    Ben

Maybe I should be a bit more specific, craftsman style or flat panel prairie style passage doors.
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 01-25-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Ben I just purchased an entry door set for mission/shaker style doors from Freeborn .

Hi Mike,
    I was just on their site. I find their catalog a bit confusing to understand. I'm sure it's me not used to how they organize their product pages. Can you tell me what part no. you purchased? Also, is it adjustable with regards to the center panel or can a wider cutter be added later for a wider groove? The immediate need is interior passage doors but later I on I need to build a few thicker 2" with sealed glass panels or at least glass panels with a rubber seal. I do not what to spend the money on Rangate whom i know have a very nice product, I have a few

Thanks Mike,

Ben

Mike did you purchase brazed or insert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Ben I just purchased an entry door set for mission/shaker style doors from Freeborn .
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 01-25-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

OK so the one i bought is PC 11-500. In freeborn speak the "p" is pro series (1 1/4"). "C" is carbide tipped. Yes they are brazed cutters. Looking at the catalog ,these profiles are made for 1 3/4" thickness. These are an eight piece set ,so there is two options for the center groove included . There is also option at time of purchase to adjust the diameter of the center groover for either 1/2" or 5/8' depth of cut. I am sure that if you need cutters that are not in catalog they would make them in the same common diameter as your set and any thickness required.I just purchased a used shaper that came with a ton of tooling,in that bunch is also an Amana set for interior doors with an ogee profile. So maybe check out Amana as well. Mike.

Just re read my post.. forgot that the groovers with set make 1/4" or 1/2" grooves for 1 3/8'' or 1 3/4" doors respectively.

I've used the Freeborn entry sets for years. Easy to set up because the tongue is sized and trimmed to length. I run the 5/8". The panel tongue is 7/16" and I put a few pieces of 1/4" OD tubing to center and cushion the panels. Floating tenons - 5/8" thick. I use the same set for cabinet doors when I'm running 1 1/16" door frames. The heavier profile looks good to me. After about 30 entry doors and as many cabinet doors, the set needs sharpening but it has served me well. Dave

Hi Ben, unless I was planning on making dozens and dozens of doors or more, I wouldn't get a carbide head dedicated to that purpose. It's a lot of money for a few doors. I would just get HSS knives for a Euroblock head in the profile I wanted with panel thickness I want. Once you own the head, the knives are cheap. For thicker doors with glass, I'd just have another set made if they weren't available off the shelf.

This approach leaves you limited in tenon length due to projection limits, but a lot of people are using shorter tenons these days.
    Last edited by brent stanley; 01-25-2019 at 1:45 PM.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Thank you Mike for the reply, I'll look into that set.

David, that's nice to know that the cutters can be used on a slightly less thick door as you mentioned. I have a two sets of insert cutters heads for entry/passage doors but not in the style I'm looking to use this time. I was hoping to use one of my cabinet door cutter heads but I decided to use a 1 3/8" thickness on these particular closet doors. And as I mentioned in the near future I need to make two 1 3/4" doors with tempered glass full panels.

Brent,
    I will look into your suggestion. I have a euro block style cutter head i use once in awhile but off hand I don't remember the height of it. It might only be 30 or 40 mm. I remember I once looked a Schmitt cutter head like this I think. I didn't think this type of cutter head could handle the task but I guess in multiple cuts it could. It would be nice to get out of this one without spending a bunch of cash on a cutter head I'll only use for 6 doors.

Like I was saying in my original post I thought of just using one of my adjustable cutter head and then mounting the tenon cutters. That's all good when you're doing one door. And I'll most likely use the Domino XL 700 to reinforce the rail and stile intersection

Brent any suggestion on who makes the head and knives you suggested?

Fellows thank you for suggestions I'm open to anything else you might like to contribute.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 01-25-2019 at 4:02 PM.

How many doors do you plan on building? If only 1 or 2, I wouldn't even groove the rails and stiles. I'd apply molding on one side, lipped over the edge of the frame to register, drop in the panels, then add molding to the other side. Also gives you the option of screwing on the molding, or adding 1/4" foam insulation between two thin panels. No trouble fitting all that into a groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Thank you Mike for the reply, I'll look into that set.

David, that's nice to know that the cutters can be used on a slightly less thick door as you mentioned. I have a two sets of insert cutters heads for entry/passage doors but not in the style I'm looking to use this time. I was hoping to use one of my cabinet door cutter heads but I decided to use a 1 3/8" thickness on these particular closet doors. And as I mentioned in the near future I need to make two 1 3/4" doors with tempered glass full panels.

Brent,
    I will look into your suggestion. I have a euro block style cutter head i use once in awhile but off hand I don't remember the height of it. It might only be 30 or 40 mm. I remember I once looked a Schmitt cutter head like this I think. I didn't think this type of cutter head could handle the task but I guess in multiple cuts it could. It would be nice to get out of this one without spending a bunch of cash on a cutter head I'll only use for 6 doors.

Like I was saying in my original post I thought of just using one of my adjustable cutter head and then mounting the tenon cutters. That's all good when you're doing one door. And I'll most likely use the Domino XL 700 to reinforce the rail and stile intersection

Brent any suggestion on who makes the head and knives you suggested?

Fellows thank you for suggestions I'm open to anything else you might like to contribute.

Ben
    Hi Ben, you read my mind regarding reinforcing the joint. I use full depth rail and stile doors, sometimes with pegged tenons if the style suits it, but I know folks are using shorter ones with long Dominos for a little extra.

I'd have to look to be sure, but I expect your Euroblock head wouldn't support the proper knife stock for the type of profile we're talking about. What machine are you running? Just wondering how large a head you can run.

Brent

Brent,

I have a Felder that can do 220 mm in the table 7.5hp. Yes the euro block I have is 100 mm diameter head with a 30mm bore (I also have a 1 1/4" spindle), the knives are 40mm. I double a knife is made for my particular need for that head. It's a Felder/Leitz I head. I once had a mortising machine but sold it because I wasn't using it enough and I liked the idea of bringing the machine to the work (as you do with the Domino) instead of bringing the work to the machine. I'm pretty casual about my work these days.

I've built a few big mahogany doors using the tenon head and adjustable head. I'm trying to work a bit smarter, I'd rather set it up, write it down in my book and have the process available for the next time. I have a few things going on tomorrow but maybe Sunday I'll try to look at Schmitt and Byrd I can't think of anyone other companies off hand, I know there are but I can't think of any right now. If not i'll spend some time looking at the cutters that Mike purchased and David recommended.

If I could find what you are talking about or a company like Amana I'd go that way just because I'm not going to be using much. Like my big expensive euro insert heads that I once used often they sort of sit around now also.

I appreciate the advice and help

Ben

Blog Entries
    If you already have a groover and a couple rebate / tenon heads, I would use them. Setup is just as long as a dedicated head. The alternative would be a 50mm tongue and groove knife set for your euro block. Cmt knives are about $23/ pair for the 50mm knives (10mmx16mm tongue iirc)
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 01-25-2019 at 8:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Brent,

I have a Felder that can do 220 mm in the table 7.5hp. Yes the euro block I have is 100 mm diameter head with a 30mm bore (I also have a 1 1/4" spindle), the knives are 40mm. I double a knife is made for my particular need for that head. It's a Felder/Leitz I head. I once had a mortising machine but sold it because I wasn't using it enough and I liked the idea of bringing the machine to the work (as you do with the Domino) instead of bringing the work to the machine. I'm pretty casual about my work these days.

I've built a few big mahogany doors using the tenon head and adjustable head. I'm trying to work a bit smarter, I'd rather set it up, write it down in my book and have the process available for the next time. I have a few things going on tomorrow but maybe Sunday I'll try to look at Schmitt and Byrd I can't think of anyone other companies off hand, I know there are but I can't think of any right now. If not i'll spend some time looking at the cutters that Mike purchased and David recommended.

If I could find what you are talking about or a company like Amana I'd go that way just because I'm not going to be using much. Like my big expensive euro insert heads that I once used often they sort of sit around now also.

I appreciate the advice and help

Ben
    Hi Ben, you have a good sized machine and lots of options! That euroblock you have is a great thing in the arsenal because it'll give you the ability to work pieces on the smaller end with knives that are correspondingly cheaper. I have one too and wouldn't be without it.

But for the cost of of that Freeborn head you could buy a larger Euroblock (that will take an infinite variety of off-the-shelf profiles and custom) and a couple sets of knives and have a lot of money leftover. Whitehill treated me very well when I first got going years ago and I now own a lot of their kit and it's never let me down. Direct from manufacturer pricing and they're a SMC sponsor to boot! I'd probably get this head as it's very versatile (http://whitehill.tools/catalogue/#page=7) unless you don't yet have a rebate block yet in which case I'd get this head (http://whitehill.tools/catalogue/#page=93) as you get a shear-cut rebate block with at the same time for a cost savings over separate. The one on the bottom of page 93.

If you were to do a number of doors at the same time in a production run, then taking the time to set up as Jared suggests is what I would do, but I think your interest in a quicker set-up with one set of knives for short runs is understandable.

I did a video about the head on page 93 after I got a million questions about it one time after a presentation. The one on page 7 is essentially the same but without the rebate block.

https://youtu.be/1Z7DMBfzluY

Fire off any questions you might have.

B

We’ve done square edge cabinet and house doors for many years and pretty much prefer what Jared describes using adj groovers and stacked groovers or rebate heads for the tenons. The carbide inserts and knickers cut very clean and these cutters are used for many other tasks. We keep setup sheets for different shim thickness that makes setup easy. I like the flexibility of the adjustable groovers and ability to shim the tenon cutters. Makes it possible to do a wide range of doors.

The front right cutter is a Garniga multiuse we use for stub tenons and next to it a 15 to 30 adj groover. These are the most used. Next to the groover is a 250 diameter adj groover we use in the sliding saw but also use it in the shaper for true tenons. I have bigger disks but this one fits in my shaper fences for quick setup without putting on the tenon hood.

DBFA9D2C-9E84-4E45-B053-457628600CD5.jpg
    Going left is a Felder (Stark) 12mm groover we used for years with 2 Felder rebate heads for the copes. Next to that is a Sthele HSS groover we used with 2 stacked Sthele cutters for the copes. These type groovers are cheap but do not cut well like the ones with knickers. We used to climb cut with this one. Not a good idea. I do not like HSS for this type tooling.

Back left is a nice insert cutter I had made that does the groove and the entire edge and at the same time eases the edge of the groove. It also can put eased edges on the style faces for Euro type doors. It’s fully adjustable but a little tricky to set up. Taking the whole edge is good if you do not have the capacity to get a clean S4S of your blanks.
    next to that one is a Great Lakes insert head that is dedicated for a 3/4” X1/2” groove taking the whole edge and easing the panel groove. This came with a profiler I picked up. It cuts well and easy to set but limited to that one cut.
    the other cutters in the back are on a sleeve and 50mm bore for the tenoner. The sleeves are adjustable but a bit time consuming to take apart and change.
    Front 3 to the right are most used.

Joe, thank you taking the time to post the photos. Most helpful. Patrick