Thread: Hook and loop on Supermax

Hook and loop on Supermax

I just bought a new SuperMax drum sander. I have a bunch of hook and loop rolls left from my old sander. Can I cut these and use them on the SuperMax. Has anyone of you done this?
    Charlie Jones

Blog Entries
    I imagine you could but, why? Supermax went to a lot of trouble to make that drum true. I would not want to convert it to a spongy surface or pay the premium for H&L abrasives. The ease of paper changes is one of the things that led me to the 19-38. Is your model not easy to change paper on? Do you have a lifetime supply of 3" wide H&L rolls? I'm just curious about the compelling reason to modify. Maybe I'm missing something . You could apply it and remove it if it didn't work out. Just use an adhesive that you can clean off (which is most of them).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Maybe I wasn’t clear. I will not convert the drum. I would cut the paper to fit and use up the hook and loop stuff I already have.
    Charlie Jones

It will work if you can get the thicker h&l paper to go into the latching mechanism, but the paper will be "soft" on the drum and the edges of you workpiece will end up slightly beveled and the board would sand unevenly as the paper would accomadate the vary hardness of the wood surface.

Thanks Guys. I think I will use these rolls for hand sanding and buy the pre cuts for the Supermax. This is a fine machine and I wouldn’t want to mess it or the wood up. This is a great forum.
    Charlie Jones

Don't buy the pre-cuts (too expensive). Buy the pre-marked rolls. See Klingspor woodworking site. I love this product, just pull the roll out of box (like toilet paper), find the colored mark that corresponds to your sander, cut and ur done.

Thanks Mike. I will check them out.
    Charlie Jones

While on Klingspor's site, take a look at their "bargain box" deals--especially if you do any turning. I bought a 20 pound assortment a few years ago for $35, split off a supply for a fellow turner and still have a lifetime assortment of 150-500 grit for small work. Assorted widths and types--but all first class abrasives. Makes it easy to make custom one-off sanding blocks as well. Most of my flat work is still sanded with matched sets, but this assortment is just one of those neat things to have around.
    earl