Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good source for hardwood in Connecticut?

Good source for hardwood in Connecticut?

I am looking for a good source to buy hardwood in Connecticut. There was a post about this here from several years back the suggested CWG (Connecticut Wood Group), but they are out of business. Parkerville comes up in a Google search, but they seem to get mixed reviews. Any good experiences out there?

Rugby (formerly Downes & Reader) is in Milford.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

A bit more of a hike, depending on where in CT you're coming from, but Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH is very good. The Woodery in Lunenburg MA is also very good. I used to go to CWG, was sorry to see them go.

Al, take this recommendation with a grain of salt, it comes from my ex-boss who was a woodworker from Connecticut. My ex-boss swore by M.L. Condon in White Planes N.Y., I never personally bought anything from them..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Al, take this recommendation with a grain of salt, it comes from my ex-boss who was a woodworker from Connecticut. My ex-boss swore by M.L. Condon in White Planes N.Y., I never personally bought anything from them..
    +1 on Condon's. When we lived in NY we were a 20 minute drive from them. They have everything! - and the quality is top notch. Now that we live in NC, I still go up there a couple of times a year to get wood - especially Sitka spruce. Great place.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Parkerville Wood Products in Manchester is a good place for hardwood lumber and specialty plywood--I wouldn't worry about whatever mixed reviews you are seeing. If you are anywhere near the northeast corner, a great place to check out is Barrette's in Thompson, which specializes in locally sourced wood that they mill and dry themselves, including a lot of amazing slabs and figured material. Their prices on a board foot basis are quite high for the more basic stuff, but there's a lot you won't find just anywhere and it's nice to support the local timber industry.

Al - did you have something specific you're looking for?

Dan @ Parkerville is great to deal with and they have a ton of selections for dimensional lumber as well as a few slabs.

If you're willing to conduct a bit of air drying yourself, drop Alan a line at CT River Milling in Haddam, CT ctrivermilling@gmail.com or @CTRIVERMILLING on instragram. I've gotten some really nice walnut slabs from him in the past.
    Owner - Christopher and Co. Woodcraft and Design

Until recently I lived in CT (Simsbury) and bought a large percentage of my wood from Berkshire Products.
    They are near Salisbury CT in Sheffield MA. (www.berkshireproducts.com)
    I highly recommend them.
    P.S. - I'm bummed about CWG.

Regards,
    Phil

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Yanchak View Post
    I am looking for a good source to buy hardwood in Connecticut. There was a post about this here from several years back the suggested CWG (Connecticut Wood Group), but they are out of business. Parkerville comes up in a Google search, but they seem to get mixed reviews. Any good experiences out there?
    Theres Conway Hardwoods in Gaylordsville, CT. Set up in an old supermarket, get as much or as little as you need. Just be polite and re stack any units you pull apart. Not the cheapest, but you get to pick your sticks so it's good value IMO

if you need larger amounts, I've used Downs and Reader, J.Gibson McIlvain, Kellog, Rex; all have good product in general, but not everybody carries everything

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

As for what I am looking for, well I am just starting to get into some more advanced projects including some hand tool work. I have been a life-long DIYselfer and have quite a bit of general carpentry experience as well as some basic cabinetry work. I am starting small but will work my way up to more advanced furniture projects as I go.

Most of my lumber buying experience has been with home centers and building supply outlets. So, I guess I am just looking for a nudge in the right direction at finding quality lumber instead of limiting myself to what I can pull of the shelf at the local big box store.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Al, I live in Fairfield county and have purchased wood from M.L. Condon, It's only a 40 min drive and they are great to deal with but a word of caution, unless things have changed they only take cash or check, I don't carry either so I had to find an atm nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by fred woltersdorf View Post
    Al, I live in Fairfield county and have purchased wood from M.L. Condon, It's only a 40 min drive and they are great to deal with but a word of caution, unless things have changed they only take cash or check, I don't carry either so I had to find an atm nearby.
    They now take credit cards as well.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

You could also try Kellogg Hardwoods in Bethel. I have gotten some nice wood from them as well as Condon.

Thanks again everyone!

Living in northern Connecticut, it looks like everything is at least 45 min to 1+ hour away. Not too big a deal, but since our old minivan finally gave up the ghost (and kids are grown so I won't be buying a replacement), I now have to get "creative" when bringing home lumber