Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good source for hardwood in Connecticut?

Parkerville has good quality lumber and helpful salespeople. Prices are high but they have a good selection.

Keep an eye on the Craigslist materials section. I have found plenty of good deals, especially in northern CT.

Al

Where are you at in CT? I am in Griswold CT.
    I have a small place near me, that specializes in supplying cabinet makers. He is by appointment only these days. GK Wood Working in Griswold CT.
    http://www.gkwoodworking.com
    What a shame to hear about CWG in Enfield. I bought all of the cherry and ply for our kitchen from them. Nice folks.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Keep an eye on the Craigslist materials section. I have found plenty of good deals, especially in northern CT.
    Never thought of Craigslist. I'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Where are you at in CT? I am in Griswold CT.
    I have a small place near me, that specializes in supplying cabinet makers. He is by appointment only these days. GK Wood Working in Griswold CT.
    I'm up in Hartland, northwest of the Airport, right on the MA border. Griswold is a bit of a trek.

It looks like Parkerville (about 45 min away) or Berkshire Products (about 50-60 min away) are my best choices.

Thank you all again for your help!

I’d suggest going to Parkerville the first few times. Their prices are a bit high, but they welcome hobby woodworkers and provide whatever level of help you may need. The selection is great. Walking into a wholesale distributor the first time can be a bit overwhelming if you don’t have much experience. But the prices are great once you’ve got it figured out.

I stopped by Parkerville today. Great experience! The staff was very friendly, helpful and patient with all my questions. I picked up a few cut-offs at what (at least to me) seemed to be very reasonable prices. I have a larger project that I plan to start soon and will definitely be heading back.

Thank you all once again for your help!

Rex Lumber, somewhere in CT

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    Rex Lumber, somewhere in CT
    It's in South Windsor. Have you been there? It seems like the type of place that only sells truckloads, but I've never been.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    It's in South Windsor. Have you been there? It seems like the type of place that only sells truckloads, but I've never been.
    So I had come across the Rex lumber website when I was originally searching, but on their home page it says: "Rex Lumber Company is a wholesale company, which only sells commercial quantities business to business."

I am guessing they will sell to anyone but only in (as you say) "truckload" quantities.