Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A book to get me through the winter?

"Time, Taste and Furniture" - John Gloag. https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a...ag-a-1925-gem/ Can be found for not much and is a nice change from the excellent but somewhat predictable recommendations.

Two other books by James Krenov that are excellent reads are "The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking" and "The Impractical Cabinetmaker".
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Not woodworking, but inspiring in terms of protecting historical practices (and farmland):
    "The Shepherd's Life," by James Rebanks

Thanks Megan! Just found a pristine first edition on ebay for 10 bucks. I couldn't figure out how to answer the 1 book question. I bought 154 off ebay last year, just on Virginia Colonial era history alone.

Here's one that captures the ethos of woodworking without gusting about the ethereal virtues of design. This one is a classic.

https://www.amazon.com/Masters-Guide.../dp/0962060976
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

I have all of the Krenov books. I would buy all of them again if need be. They are all inspirational and can be read and reread.

Definitely "The River Why" !!! More about life & love than fishing, one of my favorite reads (I reread it every couple of years).

Thank you for all the replies. So many wonderful options, but where to begin? I think I will start with James Krenov. A number of you suggested him as a great source of inspiration..

9. Damn, and I just put through an Amazon order. The books I ordered are:

Chinese Domestic Furniture in Photographs and Measured Drawings, by Gustav Ecke
    Making Shoji, by Toshio Odate
    A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, by James Krenov
    The Village Carpenter, by Walter Rose
    Woodworking Joints, by Charles Hayward
    David Charlesworth's Furniture-Making Techniques: A Guide to Hand Tools and Methods, by David Charlesworth

And also a Pentel GraphGear mechanical pencil.

The violin maker by John Marchese. It’s about a violin maker in Brooklyn and follows him making a violin for a player. There’s a little WWing in there like how they have theses secret finish recipes. You will definitely look into trying to make one after this book.
    Don