Thread: Saw Stop. Should I be worried.

Saw Stop. Should I be worried.

Recently at a marine flea market and picked up a small bundle of used teak presumably from an old boat. Most of the wood was joined length wise at a 45 degree angle. After inspecting the wood VERY closely (but not using any magnet or metal detector type device to look for metal) I proceeded to slowly rip the wood along the 45 degree glue line when I thought I saw a small spark. Pausing, I thought for a second (it was so small starting to wonder if I almost imagined it ) and continued ripping. Just a I reached the end I saw a second very small spark.

Turning off the saw i inspected my cuts. Sure enough I had cut thru two small brads (not even 22 gauge). So... lesson learned. Even though I thought I inspected the wood thoroughly I’ll never buy used wood without using a metal detector. But why didn’t the saw trip? It wasn’t in bypass mode. Thanks for any input

The wood probably insulated the metal, so there was no short to detect.

I have had the same thing happen with my SS. I actually cut through a 1/4" steel rod in an old butcher block I was trying to repurpose. Saw didn't trip. I called SS about it and they said what Matt described above. I have had the saw trip since (on my finger) so know it still works.

Check out the youtube video in which the guy cut through a nail he put in a 2x4 or the like without triggering the sawstop, because the chip did not detect significant change in the current. It would have if the nail had also been in contact with any part of your body. Make sure the diagnostic routine is completed and it STAYs solid green before you use the saw.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 01-24-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I have had the same thing happen with my SS. I actually cut through a 1/4" steel rod in an old butcher block I was trying to repurpose. Saw didn't trip. I called SS about it and they said what Matt described above. I have had the saw trip since (on my finger) so know it still works.
    Well that’s good enough for me! Thanks guys

Thanks Simon I should have probably Google it first before coming to the thread but it kind of freaked me out so I figured I’d come to the guys in the know at SMC

Blog Entries
    It is not unusual for used wood to have bits of debris embedded in it. If those bits are metal or flint you will also see sparks.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you're worried about the brake tripping and not damage to the blade, set the saw in bypass mode when you cut the places where you encountered the brads. But, I agree, it probably won't trip the brake. I've cut through small nails by accident and no brake trip.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Googled and found this on the Sawstop website . However, it could also cause a trip.

What happens if the blade comes in contact with a nail or staple in the wood?Generally, the safety system will not activate when a nail or staple is cut. Although conductive, these objects are not large enough to cause the safety system to activate unless they are grounded to the table or operator when they contact the blade.