Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outfitting the shop

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    John, you may want to consider some sort of way to make moldings such as either a router table, a very small number of molding planes, or perhaps a combination plane.

Stew
    I have a router and table, but it is my least favorite machine. As I progress I definitely want to explore the molding planes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Definitely a sander
    I have a few small power tools still. Portable belt sander, bench belt/disc sanders in two sizes, random orbit sander, bench bandsaw, router w/table, biscuit joiner.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    John,

Both the Holtzapffel and the Roubo are good solid benches but the Moravian bench could be a better pick for most woodworkers for several reasons. First it will easily break down if it needs moving. For the same stability the Moravian is lighter and because it uses less wood cheaper to build. The third advantage is the joints are smaller and more forgiving to make, it is an easy, quick build. If I'm able, no day job interference, to devote my time to just building the bench one can be completed in a couple or three weeks tops depending on how many glue ups are needed. I know I sound like a fanboy but there are sound reasons why.

ken
    The workbench is where I fluctuate the most right now. Roubo vs Moravian vs Nicholson vs some type of hybrid. When I design I tend to add more and more complexity and at some point have to stop, go back and start simple. Right now I am in that mode and am contemplating a very simple Paul Sellers style bench. I would add some holes for holdfasts and a plane stop.

that is also why I built a quick bench so I could start using it and deciding what I needed in a bench.

I was posting this same question about 15 months ago, my tool list and project list was very similar. The tool kit has gotten me through since then with only minor changes. There are only a few notable differences.

1. I went way lighter on the joinery planes with only a router plane, I recently added a plow which I should have just bought to begin with. If you have not already purchased I would get those 2 with more cutters and forego the shoulder and skew rabbet, woody rabbets are everywhere for cheap and easy to add if you want one.
    2. I bought more saws, this is partly because I got bitten by the disston rehab bug but did teach me a few lessons. 1) Sawing is likely the most important skill, a good cut makes everything else easier 2) Tooth profile, length, etc for a specific cut make it easier 3) For any given saw you have to use it enough to know it well, kind of like the old hunter saying "beware the man with one rifle, he knows how to shoot it" 4) This brings me back full circle to the fact that I only use a few saws but the exercise showed me which ones it would be and only cost a little bit given the price of old saws. For now use what you have but be on the look out for old saws to rehab and experiment with
    3. As someone else mentioned you need a marking knife or 3
    4. Go ahead and make the dovetail gauges but also try the Klausz pin first method, most prefer tail first but it frustrated the heck out of me, as soon as I did my very first pin first it just clicked and I went from hating dovetails to loving them.
    5. If you plan to cut mortises the Narex mortise chisels are handy, I dont use mine a lot but they are gold when I do
    6. Play around with some specialty chisels when you get a chance, a dedicated paring chisel can be real nice, I see no need for a full set but love the 2 I have

Overall your kit looks good though, go make some shavings!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    I was posting this same question about 15 months ago, my tool list and project list was very similar. The tool kit has gotten me through since then with only minor changes. There are only a few notable differences.

1. I went way lighter on the joinery planes with only a router plane, I recently added a plow which I should have just bought to begin with. If you have not already purchased I would get those 2 with more cutters and forego the shoulder and skew rabbet, woody rabbets are everywhere for cheap and easy to add if you want one.

Overall your kit looks good though, go make some shavings!
    The only reason for so many is the Veritas package is so good. For not much more than the plow and the router you get all 4.

Quote Originally Posted by John Isgren View Post
    The workbench is where I fluctuate the most right now. Roubo vs Moravian vs Nicholson vs some type of hybrid. When I design I tend to add more and more complexity and at some point have to stop, go back and start simple. Right now I am in that mode and am contemplating a very simple Paul Sellers style bench. I would add some holes for holdfasts and a plane stop.

that is also why I built a quick bench so I could start using it and deciding what I needed in a bench.
    John,

Different things blow different skirts, YMMV, and all that rot but: After building and working on a number of benches, both built by me and others, the one constant I've found is that simpler is better. Anything more than a face vise of some kind just gets in the way, adds to the cost and complexity (time to build) of the build, and in use will many times slow the workflow.

After my third Moravian build I've become an advocate of that style bench because of its advantages over the other popular benches. That said, any style will work and any build is a series of tradeoffs.

ken

Not sure where the OP lives, but anyone is welcome to stop by the Dungeon Shop, and try out the toys..er...tools, I use. Just let me know when you want to drop by...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Not sure where the OP lives, but anyone is welcome to stop by the Dungeon Shop, and try out the toys..er...tools, I use. Just let me know when you want to drop by...
    I hunk that many creekers, mystery included, would extend that offer. What area is your neck of the woods?

Bellefontaine, OH.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    John,

Different things blow different skirts, YMMV, and all that rot but: After building and working on a number of benches, both built by me and others, the one constant I've found is that simpler is better. Anything more than a face vise of some kind just gets in the way, adds to the cost and complexity (time to build) of the build, and in use will many times slow the workflow.

After my third Moravian build I've become an advocate of that style bench because of its advantages over the other popular benches. That said, any style will work and any build is a series of tradeoffs.

ken
    You got me thinking and now I have another plan. I need to build better legs for this bench:
    12C23864-42F3-4414-88CF-03BB31A0E250.jpg

So why not build them”Moravian” style:

CBA46C62-C5C8-4B53-819B-7CB35A6D15A6.jpg

Then I can build the Paul Sellers style bench and have best of both worlds. I will have room for two bench’s, one in the middle,of the shop and one against the wall. We will see which one ends up in which position.

B7D2303B-6D29-4ED0-88EB-5D6C1360D77A.jpg

Look quick...
    cleaned up.jpg
    As this doesn't stay this cleaned off, very long.....

Now that I am working in the shop I have pared down my shopping list. This should allow me to do all of the projects I have in mind for the foreseeable future. I appreciate everyone’s comments above!

Vintage Stanley #4
    Vintage Stanley #5 - already own
    Vintage Stanley #7
    Stanley handyman converted to scrub - already own

Veritas plow plane with T&G and beading blades
    Veritas Router plane

Saw shaped object for rough breakdown - already own
    (will be on look out for good vintage rip and cross cut full size saws later)

LN panel Rip saw
    LN Tapered Dovetail
    LN Tapered Tennon (rip)
    LN Tapered Carcase
    (will add saw sharpening equipment later in the year)

80s Vintage Marples chisels set - already own
    Thor mallet - already own

LN Holdfast (2)
    Benchcrafted plane stop
    Eclipse 10” QR vise

titemark marking gauge (2)
    Veritas mortise gauge - already own
    dividers (2’)
    12” combo square
    marking knifes - already own

Wood Owl auger bits
    Brad point drill bits

DMT sharpening plates

Grizzly 17” bandsaw
    dust collector - already own

Instead of the panel saws I decided to go with some vintage saws from vintagesaws.com. A 28” 5.5pt Phoenix rip and a 26” 8pt Atkins #51 crosscut. I figure these would be good saws to use and then learn to sharpen. Once I get good I can look for the D12...

1. A rule. I'd recommend a two-foot one to start, although you may want to supplement that fairly soon with a 6" rule if you find hand tools to your liking. Don't go nuts on price, but do get quality (people say nice things about PEC; don't know, never held one). If you're buying it in person, and you trust the rule on your 12" square, use it to check the accuracy of the graduations on the rule.

2. You can't bring it home, but your friendly local library is a tool you should use to its maximum. Books or DVDs on hand tool woodworking can give you the basic concepts without spending any more money than the cost to get there. It looks from the interweb like your nearest library is in Kountze, a bit of a drive; I was defeated when I tried to look at the catalog, couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    It looks from the interweb like your nearest library is in Kountze, a bit of a drive; I was defeated when I tried to look at the catalog, couldn't find it.
    Kountze is “Town” for us, about 20 minute drive. Fortunately I still have access to Harris County and Houston libraries. Unfortunately very little is available digitally so I will need to go in and see what they have.