Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outfitting the shop

Outfitting the shop

As I mentioned in another post I am in the process of building out a hand tool shop. This is my plans and wishlist so far:

Planes
    Block plane - LN
    #4 LN, #5 Vintage Bailey, #7 LN - Stanley Handyman converted to scrub
    Veritas Joinery set -Small Plow, Skew Rabbet, Router, Medium Shoulder

Saws - LN
    Rip Panel, Crosscut panel, Tapered dovetail, Tapered tenon, Tapered Carcase
    Vintage coping

Chisels
    Marples 6 pc set

Marking
    Titemark (2), Veritas mortise gauge, 12” combo square, Panel gauge, Dividers (2)

Sharpening
    I have 3 water stone + 1 diamond plate + strop

Boring
    Vintage brace, Brad point set, Auger but set

Misc
    Wooden handle drivers, Saw files, Saw set, Cabinet makers rasp, holdfast (2), plane stop

Machines
    17” Grizzly bandsaw, dust extractor, Dewalt planer, I still have a small Ryobi table saw with a sliding miter.

i have clamps, etc to get me started.

What am I missing. Initial projects will be shop related, but plan to make furniture for the house.
    Last edited by John Isgren; 01-23-2019 at 7:57 PM.

Wood mallet.

That’s on the “build” list

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Wood mallet.
    A "lumpy" is better.

ken

Marking knife. I just ordered my third one, not happy with the first two. Buy cheap ones until you find a style that works for you. If you drop on the floor a lot, keep buying cheap ones.

Bench vise is not the place to save a few bucks, go all out without missing the mortgage payment.

Lighting. There is a sticky in the shop build section near the top of the page. 100 candles per square foot for those of us over age 25.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you have a good start. My first projects were done with a saw, hammer and a bunch of sand paper.

What am I missing. Initial projects will be shop related, but plan to make furniture for the house.
    Starting with shop projects is a good place to start. They can be the experiments that teach you better design and joinery.

Making a mallet will be an experience with mortising and making a tapered tenon.

Here is the making of one of my mallets:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161952

A few shop items like bench hooks, shooting board and tool storage are good places to start when setting up shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Saw vise. You can make the wooden one that will clamp in your bench vise, although with time you may want something else.

2" machinist's square. It is probably my most used measuring tool. I can't imagine jointing boards without it, plus other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

A few shop items like bench hooks, shooting board and tool storage are good places to start when setting up shop.

jtk
    Project list:
    bench hook
    shooting board
    mallet
    dovetail gauges - Sellers
    sawbench - Schwarz design
    saw horses - Sellers design
    large dutch-style tool box - modified Schwarz
    Workbench - right now planning on a Holtzapffel style with a twin screw Veritas front vise and Eclipse QR tail. I may add an apron and crochet to the back side.

Just start making things, you'll discover what you need as you go. The basic rule is that each new project needs at least one new tool.

Quote Originally Posted by John Isgren View Post
    Project list:
    bench hook
    shooting board
    mallet
    dovetail gauges - Sellers
    sawbench - Schwarz design
    saw horses - Sellers design
    large dutch-style tool box - modified Schwarz
    Workbench - right now planning on a Holtzapffel style with a twin screw Veritas front vise and Eclipse QR tail. I may add an apron and crochet to the back side.
    John,

Both the Holtzapffel and the Roubo are good solid benches but the Moravian bench could be a better pick for most woodworkers for several reasons. First it will easily break down if it needs moving. For the same stability the Moravian is lighter and because it uses less wood cheaper to build. The third advantage is the joints are smaller and more forgiving to make, it is an easy, quick build. If I'm able, no day job interference, to devote my time to just building the bench one can be completed in a couple or three weeks tops depending on how many glue ups are needed. I know I sound like a fanboy but there are sound reasons why.

ken

Definitely a sander

John, you may want to consider some sort of way to make moldings such as either a router table, a very small number of molding planes, or perhaps a combination plane.

Stew

Your list looks good. I wouldn’t invest in a lot of tools of a certain brand or kind until you are sure it’s particular ergonomics agree with you. I would invest in one of three resources — two books and a video/web resource. There are several such resources but the ones I’m thinking of have tool lists and a series of projects focusing on shop tools.

the two books are The New Traditional Woodworker by Jim Tolpin and The Unplugged Workshop by Fidgen.

The web is Shannon Rogers’ handtoolschool.net.

Thanks, I will look into those!