Thread: New Veritas chisel? Did I find an Easter egg in the winter catalog?

Blog Entries

New Veritas chisel? Did I find an Easter egg in the winter catalog?

Page five of the Lee Valley winter 2019 catalog- image of sharpening stones. What chisel is this? Perhaps a prototype offset chisel? Hmmmm- did I miss something or is this not something available yet?

9DAFC062-DDC1-485C-AFE2-E806C323C120.jpg

Haha Malcolm I noticed that too and was wondering the same thing....maybe Rob will chime in.

Rob had mentioned a paring chisel they were developing and that looks like it. It was delayed by all that was going on last year.

Blog Entries
    Rob likes to tease us doesn't he.

Blog Entries
    I believe he is a smart marketer. It was no accident, and I am now his pawn. :-)

You’re not alone, Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Page five of the Lee Valley winter 2019 catalog- image of sharpening stones. What chisel is this? Perhaps a prototype offset chisel? Hmmmm- did I miss something or is this not something available yet?

Mmmm ... Rob must have his reasons for the photo ....

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post

Way to go Eagle Eye Malcolm! You have a slot in our proofing department anytime you want it.....

That completely slipped past everyone here. So clever, in fact, I wish it had been on purpose! Our flushing chisels have been ready to go for awhile now, but we've been sitting on them until we have our production of our current chisels in hand. Though they do not use the same constrained equipment as our other chisels - it would be bad optics to release them. Good news is - we have lots - and the extra wait time will mean we can produce a complementary chisel roll to hold them.

On the production front, we have two shiny new CNC grinders being installed in the next few weeks, which will enable us to get ahead of demand again. Our shop staff have been working on a workflow transformation for more than 8 months, and that project has seen a sustainable efficiency gain of 15-20% before the addition of new resources. We should be opening up the new product pipeline again by summer.... and there's a lot ready to go!

Cheers -

Rob

Move. Away. Slowly.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Way to go Eagle Eye Malcolm! You have a slot in our proofing department anytime you want it.....

That completely slipped past everyone here. So clever, in fact, I wish it had been on purpose! Our flushing chisels have been ready to go for awhile now, but we've been sitting on them until we have our production of our current chisels in hand. Though they do not use the same constrained equipment as our other chisels - it would be bad optics to release them. Good news is - we have lots - and the extra wait time will mean we can produce a complementary chisel roll to hold them.

On the production front, we have two shiny new CNC grinders being installed in the next few weeks, which will enable us to get ahead of demand again. Our shop staff have been working on a workflow transformation for more than 8 months, and that project has seen a sustainable efficiency gain of 15-20% before the addition of new resources. We should be opening up the new product pipeline again by summer.... and there's a lot ready to go!

Cheers -

Rob
    You know, Rob, that is a job that could be done remotely, so I might be available. I’ve heard it’s a little cold up your way this time of year. :-) Of course I would gladly come meet the other staff members every July.