Thread: Broken tooth on fine xcut panel saw?

Broken tooth on fine xcut panel saw?

Hi all,
    Long time lurker with maybe a few posts in my distant past.
    I recently bought a fine crosscut panel saw (10pt) and upon receiving it, noticed that the 2nd tooth from the toe is broken. The rest of the teeth are newly sharpened and look as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen on an old saw. How likely is this to affect function (like grabbing when starting a cut)? I would still not be thrilled about a broken tooth mid-plate but would be less concerned about it affecting function and I have an opportunity to return it, but I need a saw too...

Thanks in advance for any insight.
    Josh
    Last edited by Joshua Layne; 01-23-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Joshua,

No scenario where that second tooth is going to cause an issue. Use it and enjoy. There are a lot of teeth on a 10 point saw, and I doubt you could start a cut at the extreme tip of the saw even if you tried. If it offends that much, just file the last 1/8 off your saw until it's gone and bothers you no more.

Blog Entries
    Use it as is or take it to Circle Saw in Houston and have it re-toothed.

I have a 19 pt D12 Disston cross cut they re-toothed for me and it has a new curly maple handle.
    It is a joy to use.

On second thought look for a shop in California that can do it.

Google "Handsaw Repair"
    IMG_0306.jpg
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-23-2019 at 9:21 PM.

Thanks, guys. I did a couple of test cuts in 1x3 maple this morning - does not affect use in the slightest. I opted to hang on to it and deal with the broken tooth when the saw needs sharpening.
    >witty woodworking quote goes here<

Yea I would definitely just use as-is. If you have it for a long time and you re-file over and over you will bring the tooth line lower and lower and that tooth can eventually reappear

It will not cause you any issue, probably the best place to be missing one as it is unlikely to ever touch wood anyway.