Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12" Jointer Helix Head

I'll only add that if you want an insert head for a jointer, I'd rather have the inserts more flush with the head vs the perched design of the Byrd. Not a big deal on a planer but more so on a jointer. A babbit replacement will be expensive due to the length needed to be turned down. Dave

Bill R,
    If you tell me the measurements you need, I have a G0634Z w/ 12" spiral cutterhead I'd be happy to take measurements (it is also for sale for anyone interested!)
    James
    Last edited by James Coop; 02-04-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Thank you James. I am picking up the jointer this saturday and will post the major dimensions of the head next week. After additional research, it appears that I would have to remove the babits and fabricate a bearing mount for self aligning bearings. I will post developments as they happen.

Don't hack up the machine just to put some sort of off the shelf head in it. I have owned many jointers, belt drive, direct drive, but one machine that will never leave my shop is my 30" Babbitt bearing American jointer. Its smoother and quieter than any ball bearing machine.

There are more great babbitt jointers still in service than there are conversions as well done. Many if not most end up as unloved orphans with less market value than they had before conversion. Dave

After digging into this issue it appears very likely i will have to have a head made and will keep the babbit. When I figure thid out I will post progress made.