Thread: Introduction and first mini-project

Introduction and first mini-project

Hi, my name is John Isgren and I am new to these parts. I have done a bunch of woodworking in the past, but haven’t had a shop set up in about 15 years. We just had our barn built and I will finally have space again. 12x26.

I was all all set to order a full complement from Grizzly (TS, Jointer, Planer, Drill Press, Bandsaw). Then I ran across Paul Sellers, Chris Schwarz, and Cosman... now my plans have changed and I am going wireless! Instead of buying machines I am going to invest in tools. Basic set of planes, saws, and marking gauges. I will still get a bandsaw but hold off on the rest. My dad did give me a couple of old planes: a #4 Handyman, a type 13 No5, and a no name no4 with a pressed frog. I already have a decent set of Marples chisels from the 80s.

I did a minor tune up on the No5 and sharpened per Sellers. I put together a quick workbench. The legs I made 20 years ago but the torsion box top collapsed. I just glued up a bunch of 2x4 straight from HD and then went after them with the plane. For my first time sharpening and pushing a plane I am thrilled! The vice is a WoodRiver small face vice that was on sale after Christmas.

8229AE19-0421-4B0E-AD0B-F1D08DC92CA0.jpg906C9752-D3A2-4C67-9A28-BEB6234C17C9.jpg

Looks good John. Lot less dust and noise with the hand tools.

John,

Nice job on the bench, and welcome to the creek!

Stew

That’s a good start.
    Aj

Great start, now just keep building. Most marking and layout tools can be made with what you have and provide some great practice.

Yep! Plan to build a bunch of shop stuff for practice. Current project list:
    Bench hook
    Shooting Board
    Mallet
    Sawbench - Schwarz
    Saw Horses - Sellers
    Dovetail markers
    Dutch-ish Tool Box
    Workbench

Since you have some room look on OWWM.org and find yourself a vintage 36 inch bandsaw, you won't regret it. If I was going to start over, I would go for the bandsaw and a 24" planer and the rest would be "cordless". Those two machines to remove drudgery and speed up processing rough sawn lumber. Then onto the joy of woodworking.

Good work John. Your bench top looks just like mine!

Welcome to SMC! Glad you've joined us!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Leistner View Post
    Since you have some room look on OWWM.org and find yourself a vintage 36 inch bandsaw, you won't regret it. If I was going to start over, I would go for the bandsaw and a 24" planer and the rest would be "cordless". Those two machines to remove drudgery and speed up processing rough sawn lumber. Then onto the joy of woodworking.
    eventually I will get a 8” jointer, 15” planer, drill press, and delta Unisaw from my father. I may pick up a Dewalt planer for the interim.

Welcome back, and 'Nice start'. You might want to add a couple of brackets to the back of that so you can screw it to the wall on a temporary basis for stability. They can be on the top for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Welcome back, and 'Nice start'. You might want to add a couple of brackets to the back of that so you can screw it to the wall on a temporary basis for stability. They can be on the top for convenience.
    That will have to wait until I get a wall... Still working in getting power to the barn and then I will sheet the inside on the shop with plywood.

I don't know what the Seller's Saw Horses look like, but you might consider the Krenov type saw horse. I built 4 of them and the are very useful. A real benefit is that all 4 pack (store) into the space that one standard type saw horse normally takes up. With a limited space shop this is very important for me.

Welcome!

Your space will be eaten up soon enough. I would do a floor plan that includes your Dads tools so you don’t have to move things. If the bench height matches the unisaw it can double as your out feed table.
    I like my bench in the open not against a wall. If it was against a wall it would need a window there.
    Electrical things need walls so you can plug them in.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Your space will be eaten up soon enough. I would do a floor plan that includes your Dads tools so you don’t have to move things. If the bench height matches the unisaw it can double as your out feed table.
    I like my bench in the open not against a wall. If it was against a wall it would need a window there.
    Electrical things need walls so you can plug them in.
    Here is my current plan. All equipment is on rollers, and tucked to the walls when not in use. There will be narrow cabinet/ French cleat walls above the machines. All tables/bench will be sized the same as table saw. Shop is 12’x26’ with 8x8 roll up door at the end.

5AAB2B02-D141-448B-829B-E6803EA944DB.jpg