Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 phase coverter or VFD?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Jack does not build the drive, but ok.
    So the podcast I listened to last week, with Jack as guest stated he’s built over 800 VFDs for people was a dream?
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    So the podcast I listened to last week, with Jack as guest stated he’s built over 800 VFDs for people was a dream?
    If you think about it, the electronics that go into a VFD, the circuit boards, the injection molded plastic enclosures, the microprocessor programming, the user interface, the manual, the safety testing and certifications....that's a big chunk of engineering. It's multi-millions of dollars worth of work. Obviously, you don't sell 800 VFDs for ~$500/ea and make money. So, logically, no, he's not building VFDs.

He may be taking commercial VFDs, putting them inside a secondary enclosure, maybe adding some different buttons, and providing technical support.

I suppose if he has a factory that he builds them in, in China somewhere, sure.

Blog Entries
    He mentioned in the podcast he found a manufacturer in China that he sources them from.

I'm with Darcy, the Fuji VFDs are really nice units
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 01-23-2019 at 6:38 PM.

Well I dont know what you fellas are going on about with podcasts and this Jack guy but I digress. So turns out the motor does run on 220 3 phase. At least thats what the guy I bought it from tells me. So I rigged up a vfd I have hooked to my Supermax drum sander that uses 120v 1phase input and has 220v 3phase output at 1hp and it worked good. Seemed to be pretty fast cranked up to max also. Im going to order that Temco Vfd from factorymation for $130 and I'll report back if anyone would like.
    Thanks for the help, Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Richard, if all you need is "sort of close" 3 phase power, an inexpensive converter can be the way to go.

If you need accurate 3 phase power then it's another step in price for a true 3 phase output converter.

A VFD gives you advantages that a converter doesn't, soft start, variable speed, and braking, depending upon your application those can be very important features.

When I built my band mill, I went with a 3 phase motor and VFD for weight and portability considerations......Diann's lathe has a VFD, variable speed and soft start are really nice......Rod.
    I fully understand the advantages, I have a DIY rotary phase convertor and a VFD on my Oneway lathe. What I don't understand is how more than 7 VFDs compares to a hardwired 3 phase shop. I feel a rotary phase convertor will outlive cheap VFDs by a long shot. If the rotary phase convertor will last twice as long, then we are talking about more than 14 VFDs in the equation.

There is one VFD that will convert 220 volts to 415 volts that I know of and it ain't cheap. It was sourced out of the UK but I can't find a link to it at the moment.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Curious about the thought process of buying at least 7 VFDs versus one rotary phase convertor to a 3 phase breaker box and hardwiring the shop.
    I got the machines one at a time over the course of several years. Some came with starters, some with pieces of starters, some in pieces. With a VFD I don't need to buy and set up a separate three phase panel, three phase distribution, fool around with magnetic starters, heaters, etc, or mess around with an RPC and listen to it run.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Blodgett View Post
    Well I dont know what you fellas are going on about with podcasts and this Jack guy but I digress. So turns out the motor does run on 220 3 phase. At least thats what the guy I bought it from tells me. So I rigged up a vfd I have hooked to my Supermax drum sander that uses 120v 1phase input and has 220v 3phase output at 1hp and it worked good. Seemed to be pretty fast cranked up to max also. Im going to order that Temco Vfd from factorymation for $130 and I'll report back if anyone would like.
    Thanks for the help, Neil
    We do have a tendency to digress

Huh. So you hooked that motor to 240 and it worked? Based on the nameplate you posted, it doesn't appear to be a dual-voltage motor, so it's possible you're just running it at half voltage? That is actually not good for it - it will potentially overheat (the technical reason is that the V/Hz ratio is incorrect and it could saturate the magnetic core of the motor). It may be possible to compensate for this by programming the VFD with a different "base frequency".

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    We do have a tendency to digress

Huh. So you hooked that motor to 240 and it worked? Based on the nameplate you posted, it doesn't appear to be a dual-voltage motor, so it's possible you're just running it at half voltage? That is actually not good for it - it will potentially overheat (the technical reason is that the V/Hz ratio is incorrect and it could saturate the magnetic core of the motor). It may be possible to compensate for this by programming the VFD with a different "base frequency".
    I agree, it's a single voltage 440v motor.

I would consider replacing the motor with a 208 three phase and supplying it from a vfd. I think the variable speed is worth keeping for this machine. Or go ahead and use a single phase motor.
    What kind of switch controls the motor? If it has a contactor control voltages will be off unless it has a transformer that can be rewired for lower inputs. Good luck finding a European coil of the new correct voltage.
    Bill D

And, Neil, the speed of an induction motor doesn't depend on the voltage. So saying that it seems to be going "fast enough" is not an indication that you're running it at the "correct" voltage and not overheating it.

I agree with what has been said about VFDs, I use 3 in my shop and am planning on adding more to replace old static phase converters. There are many advantages of VFD's over rotary converters, soft starting (which reduces start up current, especially on machines with a lot of inertia, like my 30" band-saw), variable speeds, no waiting for the rotary converter to start first, and lower power consumption. Regarding your 440 volt motor, I suggest you take it to a motor shop and see if they can rewire it to 230 volts. I have never seen a 3 phase motor than could not be re-wired. Years ago I bought a 440 volt hollow chisel mortiser that did not have the usual dual voltage leads in the motor box, I called my local motor shop, they said I could "lift the leads" to the windings and re-configure them for the lower voltage, I did and it worked great. So just because the nameplate only says 440, does not mean it can't be re-wired. Otherwise you will need a transformer to raise your 220-230 volts to 440 volts.

I’m considering upgrading my Clearvue cyclone 1 phase to a 3 phase motor. I need my DC for shorter bursts, and doing that with the 1 phase is too hard on the motor. Very interested in hearing which way you go. Though in my research, a VFD seems the way to go.

99% of all Clearvues in Australia use a VFD, Cathryn at CV is fairly familiar with that though she does not know the technical details of course.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening