Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Shows

Woodworking Shows

Sorry is this thread is in the wrong sub-forum.

I see there is a 'The Woodworking Shows' coming to Atlanta, GA in March.

I've never been to one of these and was wondering if the 8hr round trip drive is worth it?

I did a search, but all I could find were threads that were 8 or 9 years old.

Do some of the major manufacturers attend these? Powermatic, Jet, Felder, Martin, etc., or do they just show up at the International Shows?

Thanks

If you're willing to make the trip to Atlanta, I would hold off and come in August for IWF. You will see EVERYTHING there. Not so much in the regional hobby shows.

Erik

I agree with Erik if you want to see "the show of all shows". "The Woodworking Shows" are ok and focused on hobbyists; there's good stuff and there's dreck. It's interesting to see and there are sometimes doo-dads you can't live without. Don't expect extraordinary "show specials" on big stuff like there were back in the day, however. Check out the free seminars...some of them can be pretty interesting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agreed! I just went to the Woodworking Show in Springfield, MA. Other than watching SawStop fire off a cartridge, it was boring.

IWF. Isn't that August 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by john snowdon View Post
    Agreed! I just went to the Woodworking Show in Springfield, MA. Other than watching SawStop fire off a cartridge, it was boring.
    You're right, my mistake. I was thinking it was Atlanta this year. Vegas is fun, just sayin'.

Erik

Chris, I went to my first (and only) WWShow in Kansas City a couple of years ago. Overall, glad I didn't drive 8 hours to get there. Lee Valley and Woodpeckers had booths, which interested me mostly because I hadn't personally seen most of the cool stuff they sell. Carter did the bandsaw setup demo, which you can easily watch on You Tube. Kreg did some stuff with pocket hole jigs, and yes, SawStop wounded several hot dogs (although the SS booth was manned by a local Woodcraft employee). Like Jim said, lots of dreck, some of which had little or no connection to woodworking. Cost about $14 to get in. My advice, pass.

I've been to the one in KC several years in a row. I dont think I've seen any of the actual big tool manufacturers selling products, mostly third party resellers, and no great bargains. Lee Valley is usually there. A large part of it is a sprawling Peachtree sales area, and turning supplies. I guess its a good opportunity for small shops and hobbyists to pick up the little stuff they need all at once. Some people go to see the lectures and demos. No, I wouldn't drive that far for it.

I wouldn't drive more than 1 hr each way for The Woodworking Shows. They have been more and more disappointing to me lately. YMMV.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by john snowdon View Post
    I went to this a few years back. Disappointing.

The fun part was the ride there/back with my then 7yo son, so not all was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I wouldn't drive more than 1 hr each way for The Woodworking Shows. They have been more and more disappointing to me lately. YMMV.
    I agree, and I think there are 2 reasons;

1) we’re older and don’t need anything else for the shop

2) the internet has ruined wood shows. Not only have we seen everything on the net, online shopping has reduced vendor margins to the point that they can’t afford to attend shows.......Rod.

Blast from the past: Dallas Closet Expo, 2005. Small show but all big hitters. Weinig was actually running a huge moulder in the show. Sounded like a jet engine. Couldn’t hear for days afterward.

Erik

6FA1C2D1-FFBF-495C-8401-93D4AD8207AF.jpg089CDED5-0342-4BD0-94DD-262AF9ADA9D1.jpg

The WWShow used to come to Portland...but as many have said it got kinda boring, attendance dwindled and they ultimately skipped the stop. I’ve attended classes in the past at these shows that were worthwhile and once one put on by David Marks, which was cool.

Every couple years, we attend the show in Chantilly. I go mostly for the FREE seminars, plus pick up the few trinkets that cost more to ship than buy. Always learn something new. This year Charlotte is back on the schedule. It's closer to me (3 hours, vs 5 hours away,) but I would rather make a weekend of it in DC, as our daughter lives and hour away from show. Used to be the only place to see cool tools was at the show, but internet killed that. Been going to IWF for 20 years, but I think I have been for the last time. I find that I have all the tools I will ever need. My time and money are better spent fixing up shop.

I live in the Dallas Texas area and my wife and I just drove up to Kansas City to go to the Woodworking Show and to Missouri Star Quilt Company.
    My expectations for the Woodworking Show were low and it met those expectations.
    Alex Snodgrass was there doing his bandsaw clinic and he is very entertaining.
    There were some other presentations but I wasn't really interested in them, but that is not a reflection of the quality of the presentation.
    Not very many vendors present, I did buy a Woodpeckers 6/8" square set.
    They had a $10 off Show special so counting the $28 it cost for us to get in I only paid $18 over retail :-)

I wanted to go, my wife wanted to go to the Quilt store, we had a good time visiting Kansas City.
    Had dinner at a Jazz Club, ate some good BBQ (twice), the people we encountered were all super nice.
    It was a fun little getaway for us.

Do I think the Woodworking Show by itself is worth the drive ??
    No.
    But if you can have another activity to enjoy with someone you like hanging out with then it could be part of a fun weekend getaway.