Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Blast from the past: Dallas Closet Expo, 2005. Small show but all big hitters. Weinig was actually running a huge moulder in the show. Sounded like a jet engine. Couldn’t hear for days afterward.

Erik

Attachment 401859Attachment 401860
    Eric, did you work the show in Atlanta years ago when I helped out as "booth babe"? I don't remember who the official people were for that gig at this point...it was so long ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Eric, did you work the show in Atlanta years ago when I helped out as "booth babe"? I don't remember who the official people were for that gig at this point...it was so long ago.
    Jim, I think that might have been just before I got there. I still think you’re a babe, though.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Jim, I think that might have been just before I got there. I still think you’re a babe, though.

Erik
    ROFLOL!!!!! Hey, at least I got two nice (but slightly too small) polo shirts and a show pass out of the deal.
    --

Jim, i always thought wearing a too small and tight shirt was part of the requirements for being a booth babe- at least it seems to be a common theme at the other tool and cars shows.

Just never envisioned you as a booth babe . . . . But there was that shot of you in your Naughty hat this past Christmas season, hmmmm . . . . I might have to rethink those assumptions . . .

ROFLOL!!!!! Hey, at least I got two nice (but slightly too small) polo shirts and a show pass out of the deal.
    I still have an SCM Group IWF polo shirt, truth be told. Hate to say it but the glory days of the smaller regional trade shows seem to be done. Remember the three promotions? TSI Expos, Woodworks, and The Woodworking Shows? Fun times. Don’t even know if they’re around any longer. The combination of internet marketing and the recession of ‘08-‘10 did them in.

If I were a show promotor, I would focus on seminars more than vendors. Line up a dozen really good speakers and do it that way. Make it a learning experience rather than a flea market. I believe people would travel for that.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Jim, i always thought wearing a too small and tight shirt was part of the requirements for being a booth babe- at least it seems to be a common theme at the other tool and cars shows...
    So, Ex-Factory was NOTORIOUS for their booth babes. Not finance reps, just gals in short-shorts to stand around the permeter of the booth and lure guys in. I remember one Atlanta show where their booth was in between ours and the restrooms. That became the code phrase of a couple of the territory reps: “Be right back. Going to the restroom”.

Erik

Yes, the regional/touring shows really took a hit when the economy did it's thing a number of years ago and recovery just hasn't been thrilling. I could be wrong, but I only see The Woodworking Shows at this point...there's one in Secaucus early March. The irony here is that all three of my SCM/Minimax machines were acquired associated with those regional shows. Two machines (the J/P and the MM16) were actually used as show props and I picked them up afterward uncrated and enjoyed them immediately. The slider was benefitted by both a show special discount and some other factors. "Those were the days..."
    --

Yes, the regional/touring shows really took a hit when the economy did it's thing a number of years ago and recovery just hasn't been thrilling. I could be wrong, but I only see The Woodworking Shows at this point...there's one in Secaucus early March. The irony here is that all three of my SCM/Minimax machines were acquired associated with those regional shows. Two machines (the J/P and the MM16) were actually used as show props and I picked them up afterward uncrated and enjoyed them immediately. The slider was benefitted by both a show special discount and some other factors. "Those were the days..."
    Man, I have lost count of how many MM’s or other machines I helped load up at the end of a show. Those WERE the days.

Erik

If you combine the 8 hr trip with some vacation, Atlanta is a great city to visit. "The Woodworking Shows" is still what you make it. If you just want to stroll and buy a few unusual things, it can still be fun. If you want to see heavy machinery and expect a huge discount, you will be greatly disappointed. It's my opinion that these shows are dying because they have not adapted. Younger generation is all about "making", not woodworking exactly. They should have moved at least some of the show towards small 3d printers, lasers, and bench top CNCs. Then add in metal smithing for jewelry, and even fabric arts. You can't keep pushing the same niche woodworking tools to a demographic of mid to late 60 year old guys and stay successful. When I worked at Woodworker's Journal in the late 90s, Delta knew they were going to be in trouble. As a Delta executive said to me, Unisaw sales are going to tank. Grandpa is passing his on to the next generation and sales are going to head down a long downward sales curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    If you combine the 8 hr trip with some vacation, Atlanta is a great city to visit. "The Woodworking Shows" is still what you make it. If you just want to stroll and buy a few unusual things, it can still be fun. If you want to see heavy machinery and expect a huge discount, you will be greatly disappointed. It's my opinion that these shows are dying because they have not adapted. Younger generation is all about "making", not woodworking exactly. They should have moved at least some of the show towards small 3d printers, lasers, and bench top CNCs. Then add in metal smithing for jewelry, and even fabric arts. You can't keep pushing the same niche woodworking tools to a demographic of mid to late 60 year old guys and stay successful. When I worked at Woodworker's Journal in the late 90s, Delta knew they were going to be in trouble. As a Delta executive said to me, Unisaw sales are going to tank. Grandpa is passing his on to the next generation and sales are going to head down a long downward sales curve.
    Good ideas Richard. Well worth exploring if I owned that show. Interestingly, I met the owner 2-3 years back at a show and he was no older than about 35. He might be receptive to your idea - you ought to drop them a note.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Richard, I agree about "adapting"...there was a single desktop CNC vendor at the Secaucus show last year and it was a brand that I had never heard of nor seen anything about since.
    --

CNC and laser were prominent at Kansas City this year.
    Laney Slaughterhouse (sp) was doing a CNC clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Good ideas Richard. Well worth exploring if I owned that show. Interestingly, I met the owner 2-3 years back at a show and he was no older than about 35. He might be receptive to your idea - you ought to drop them a note.
    I also attended one of the early shows in which crafts and household stuff (floor cleaning) etc. vendors were present (to keep the spouses happy?). But some woodworking visitors as well as vendors openly complained about the "non-woodworking mix." The show organizer was in a bind.

Simon

As someone who works for a company who exhibits at the big woodworking big shows, I can tell you the shows give us some complimentary passes to offer clients as part of our participation. My company (and I suspect many others) are quite keen to give these out, with the understanding that the clients who receive them will be happy to spend some time at our booth. Might bear fruit to kick the tires on scoring a free pass with a rep from your favorite woodworking equipment company before shelling out for a pass to IWF or AWFS for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Tonin View Post
    Might bear fruit to kick the tires on scoring a free pass with a rep from your favorite woodworking equipment company before shelling out for a pass to IWF or AWFS for yourself.
    One of the issues is that the machinery manufacturers quit exhibiting at the regional shows a long time ago. For interested folks (assuming we’re not talking about hand tools or battery-powered stuff), the big-dollar equipment just quit participating. I think the last show Minimax USA did on the regional circuits was maybe 2007, if not 2006. By then, it was down to just us and Laguna as far as actual industrial equipment manufacturers doing any displaying. It was about $10K for us to have a 10X12 booth at any of those shows. That was booth fee, freight cost to get the equipment there, my airfare/car rental/lodging, etc. So, even 10+ years ago, it was still super expensive just to show machinery at the smallest shows. This is why I tell folks to put IWF or AWFS on their bucket list. It really is the only spot you will get to see it all under one roof. Just my 2-cents.

Erik