Thread: Artistry In Wood Show Dayton Ohio, Final show

Artistry In Wood Show Dayton Ohio, Final show

The Dayton Woodcarvers "Artistry In Wood Show" is going to have it last show this year after 28 years. Said that the woodcarvers putting on the show are getting older and no longer able to volunteer. No younger woodworkers to take there place.
    I went to every show each year for I bet 25 years. Sad to see it go. It was a great show.

Any guess what it was that the older generation were interested in woodworking but not the younger?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

That's a shame. Please post some pics after your visit.

That's a doggone shame Dave.
    Maybe the younger generation is more interested in using CNC to carve. I saw a demo of that once.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    The Dayton Woodcarvers "Artistry In Wood Show" is going to have it last show this year after 28 years. Said that the woodcarvers putting on the show are getting older and no longer able to volunteer. No younger woodworkers to take there place.
    I went to every show each year for I bet 25 years. Sad to see it go. It was a great show.

Any guess what it was that the older generation were interested in woodworking but not the younger?
    All craft is cyclic. We drove a big industry when baby boomers got interested in working with their hands in the early 70s. Back to nature kind of thing. Before that, machinery was basically for the construction trade. Now boomers are slowing and about the only thing they are driving is assisted living and nursing home construction. Younger people are heading back into the cities, and a shop space is just impossible.

When and where is it, Dave? I am nearby and love seeing artistry. Thanks!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    When and where is it, Dave? I am nearby and love seeing artistry. Thanks!
    The show started out at the Hara arena then for years moved to the Expo Center at the Dayton air show. It is now located at The Roberts Center I-71 and rt 68 near Wilmington ohio. https://www.robertscentre.com/

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale