Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just curious - who considers this woodworking?

A person who works with their hands is a labourer.
    A person who works with their hands and their mind is a craftsman (craftsperson).
    A person who works with their hands and their mind and their heart is an artist.

It's wood machining, and since there's no possibility other than: part machined as envisioned or flawed part which is discarded, there's nothing interesting about it beyond the economics and technology of it.

The thing which saddens me here is how much of the wood is becoming sawdust --- there's no possibility of cutting off sections of the blank to use for smaller projects? (Shades of the lamps by Louis Comfort Tiffany being made of scraps from stained glass production)

2. Is splitting fire wood with an axe woodworking?

I would say that it is woodworking, the machine is a woodworking machine and the machine operator is a machine operator (not a woodworker).

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Using anything other than the fleshy tools God/Yahweh/Allah/Buddha/Zeus/Mother Gaia/Krishna/Peter Cottontail gave you is cheating.

If you think differently, you'd be incorrect.
    I don't think God/Yahweh/Allah/Buddha/Zeus/Mother Gaia/Krishna/Peter Cottontail gave us any tools, he/she gave us the ability to imagine, design and make a whole host of tools.

If you hadn't seen how it was made what would you say? Something like "Wow, whoever made that did some really nice work." I'll bet. Of course it's woodworking. The Shakers used every mechanical advantage they could building their products. Stickley did the same, and I'm sure many others. If you want to make a couple hundred thousand legs like that you use a machine like that, at least you do if you want to make money.

John

So, they aren't allowed to exhibit one at IWF?

Quote Originally Posted by tom m king View Post
    so, they aren't allowed to exhibit one at iwf?
    Hahaha!.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Barnhart View Post
    In some ways, I would tend to agree, in others not so much. Like Mr. Jim said, folks in today's modern ways of life really truthfully do not care or have the first clue how their home furnishings are designed or created, just as long as it is within their budget, and has the looks and style they want.
    I see this sort of comment about furniture buyers crop up on this forum pretty regularly, and I don't think it's quite accurate or quite fair. Pretty much everyone who's not Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos has to make some budget-related trade-offs in life. If someone buys a less-expensive product, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't understand or don't appreciate the tangible differences between products - but they have to prioritize.

My wife and I built a new home a couple of years ago. Prior to moving, we gave most of our furniture to our son and his family, who were moving into a larger home. So, at our new place, we had a lot of furnishing to do. I do some woodworking myself, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of what it takes to produce fine wood furniture. In our home, you'll find an $8,000 Amish-made bedroom suite in the master, and you will also find a guest bedroom I affectionately refer to as the "Ikea suite," furnished for about $600. I'm happy with both purchases and, to tell you the truth, the "Ikea suite" is perfectly functional, at least two years in. This doesn't mean we wouldn't like to have fine furniture throughout the house, but that will take some time - until we can afford it and/or I have time to make it.

Maybe it would be appropriate to turn the issue around, and ask how many of the folks who post here have tailor-made shirts or suits in their closets? Original oil paintings on their walls? The finest china and lead crystal in their kitchens?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I don't think God/Yahweh/Allah/Buddha/Zeus/Mother Gaia/Krishna/Peter Cottontail gave us any tools, he/she gave us the ability to imagine, design and make a whole host of tools.
    Ever broken a stick over your knee?

It’s simply manufacturing. Not everybody wants or can afford hand made. Nothing wrong with that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    Is splitting fire wood with an axe woodworking?
    Yes, of course it is.

So is making firewood with an automated firewood processor....Rod

Where do you draw the line? It is using a tool. Unless you are smashing a rock against a tree this is no different then using a knife, shaper,tablesaw, lathe, router,etc to carve it. It takes skill to carve it with a knife. It takes a skill to program a machine to do it. They are skills. just different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Ever broken a stick over your knee?
    Yes but you're going to have to explain the question to me. I have no idea what your point is.

Of course its woodworking. Bizarre to try and retitle as something else.

I just started building a desk for our home office. The first step was to put together the legs (3" square). In order to do this, I used the following: 1) chop saw 2) jointer 3) planer 4) table saw 5) drum sander and 6) Festool dominos, plus dust collector and shop air filter. I am pretty sure that most of these machines are standard in many of our shops and most of us wouldn't have a problem calling this "woodworking". That said, these power tools wouldn't have been that common in woodworking shops during the time my grandfather was living. Most of the work would have been accomplished with hand-tools Time marches on and innovation constantly brings change to existing technologies. Personally, I want to have "hand-on" engagement with my tools; I don't think I would enjoy simply pushing a button, but I do think it is "woodworking", but it isn't the kind I want to do.