Thread: Buck vs. Buck Bros chisels?

Buck vs. Buck Bros chisels?

This will qualify as a dumb question of which I should know answer.
    In my travels, I've seen Buck Bros logos on chisels as well as Buck.
    Are they same company? Was there a merger or a buyout? The history should be interesting.
    Thanks for your help,
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    The Buck family came from England. To my knowledge the parents and others in the family worked in edged tool making in England.

Charles Buck did make tools under his own name and also worked with his brothers at Buck Brothers.

There are a couple of variations of tools made in England which include the name Buck. Nothing in my reading so far indicates whether this is all in the same family or not.

There are a lot of different Marples from the same family who have been or became tool makers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    You can buy them at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/wood%2520chisels?NCNI-5

What prompted my interest is that I've run across couple times now OLDER (vintage) Buck Bros chisels with wood handles ...Looking like an authentic vintage WWing chisel close (in appearance) to the class of Witherby, Pexto, Greenlee etc.....The current product in borg is not what I mean...Thought maybe, there might be 2 companies or 2 divisions...I also thought that in years past, they may have produced some quality chisels...My assumption is probably wrong...Thanks for your help..
    Jerry

Not sure I understand the question, but vintage Buck Bros chisels are near top tier. Good metal. Thin gauge. Thin lands (on the beveled edge varieties). The likes of Eric Berg's I think are a tad better because they are even thinner, but I love my Buck Bros chisels.

Modern ones are not so desireable.

Thanks Kurtis...That is what I was looking for: Confirmation that the early Buck Bros chisels were of decent or better quality...The ones currently in the Borg/Box stores have been adjusted downward to fit the needs/prices of the mass market....Agree

I also did find a history of the company here: http://brianwelch.galootcentral.com/buck/index.htm
    Thanks to all.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kurtis...That is what I was looking for: Confirmation that the early Buck Bros chisels were of decent or better quality...
    My most used chisels are Buck Brothers. They get used more than my Witherby chisels.

They have done quite well for me.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-23-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jerry I have one Buck Bros. Chisel, and it is very good. Be aware that they still make wood handled ones (you can buy them from Craftsman Studio). I have a couple of times run across a chisel that was offered as vintage but looked to me like it might be the new manufacture.

The new ones may be good, I don’t know. I thought about getting a set, but could not figure out what the steel was.

Thank you all....Next time I encounter wood handled BUCK BROS vintage chisels, I will purchase (if a reasonable price )
    Jerry