Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Glide or Festool Kapex..how bad is the Bosch?

Bosch Glide or Festool Kapex..how bad is the Bosch?

So I’ve been reading up on mitre saws the last few days and if I didn’t have real-world experience with them I would walk away from this thinking that all of them are incapable of making a clean cut or staying operational for more than 2-3 years.

Here’s the deal: I have a nice table saw and I have a nice crosscut sled. I want what a mitre saw would ideally offer..which is an alternative to setting up the incra sled and a way to quickly chop stuff down to size while minimizing waste.

I have a space that I could dedicate to it, but I can’t use a traditional SCMS that needs a ton of clearance behind the unit. Makita is out right off of the bat so that leaves the Bosch glide or Festool Kapex.

I’ve read a ton of stuff about the Bosch unit having a lot of slop at full extension..is that realistic? I mean I can torque any saw no matter the setup if I put some muscle into it..if used properly is it really an issue?

I would love to be able to pick up the Bosch at just about 1/3 of the price of the Kapex..but end game what I need is accuracy. Dust collection and weight are irrelevant to me.

If that means I have to buy the Kapex and replace the $200 Armature myself every two years (after the warranty goes out) then that’s what I’ll do.

What’s everyone’s opinion on this? Do I really need the Kapex?

Does it have to be a slider?

The first sentence is definitely not 100% correct. I have a DeWalt 705 from the mid 1990's and it is very capable of making an accurate, repeatable, cut in wood, PVC pipe, aluminum, and tile. Yep, tile. It's not a slider though.It's also not a replacement for my Mast-R-Slide.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-22-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

So I’ve been thinking about that as well. I would probably go with the DWS716XPS if I just ended up getting a regular CMS.

I think I would grow tired of the lack of capacity though and use my crosscut sled more often which goes against the entire point of setting something like this up in a dedicated shop space.

I regularly work with 8/4, I’m not sure what type of width I could cut with that..6-8”?

I havent experienced so much slope with my Bosch Glide that it was ever a problem. However I dont really use my miter saw for cuts that I need to be super precise. That said I personally own a lot of Festool but wont go near that Kapex. Too overprices, not a 12" blade and there is definitely a motor issue with it in the US model, lots of people having them fail on them.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

FWIW I own a Porter Cable 12'' saw that does not slide and a Makita 10'' SCMS. We use the porter cable about 95 percent of the time. This is finish work -trim and shop work. I am a full time carpenter. The slider is great after pieces are 8" plus,P.C. gets used the rest of the time.

If you want accuracy, repeatability, and capacity get an old cast iron radial arm saw. You'll save a bunch of money, too. If you want something to "quickly chop stuff down to size" then any SCMS will do, with no rational to buy a Kapex.

John

I should reword that. Quickly cut pieces down to final size.**

I thought about a radial arm saw but not only does it take up a ton of space, I couldn’t find any in good condition. It’s just not worth the hassle.

Maybe I should just build a long side table topped with some melamine and use the sled for everything. This is proving to be way more difficult than I thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you want accuracy, repeatability, and capacity get an old cast iron radial arm saw. You'll save a bunch of money, too. If you want something to "quickly chop stuff down to size" then any SCMS will do, with no rational to buy a Kapex.
    It depends on how important dust collection is to you. Which is the only rationale that I can see for the extra cost of the Kapex.

I've just been looking at the Bosch vs Kapex choice in a new miter saw. Lots of good video comparisons and reviews online. The Bosch seems like a very good quality tool for the price. Makes it a little harder to choose the Kapex. They both do a nice job on minimizing the required footprint. The hold-down clamp on the Kapex is much better. Dust collection on the Kapex seems to be a "little"better." One thing about the Bosch, I'd probably get an aftermarket blade, wheich adds to the price. Kapex most likely has a very high quality blade to start.

I'd consider a radial arm saw, but, I have space issues. Sometimes, you can find them for the taking!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    I've just been looking at the Bosch vs Kapex choice in a new miter saw. Lots of good video comparisons and reviews online. The Bosch seems like a very good quality tool for the price. Makes it a little harder to choose the Kapex. They both do a nice job on minimizing the required footprint. The hold-down clamp on the Kapex is much better. Dust collection on the Kapex seems to be a "little"better." One thing about the Bosch, I'd probably get an aftermarket blade, wheich adds to the price. Kapex most likely has a very high quality blade to start.

I'd consider a radial arm saw, but, I have space issues. Sometimes, you can find them for the taking!
    Something to add to that: the Kapex hold down can be used on the Bosch. Its not ideal IMO but MANY do it and it does work, I have tried it. The large dust collecting rubber boot from the Kapex cant be used with the Glide as well though that takes a little more finessing. I have one on mine and it does improve dust collection by increasing the size of the scoop.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I own the Bosch saw and it is accurate enough for most things I do. For example, I am using it today to fabricate a "corn hole" yard game. If I am building furniture, I will use my sled and 90 tooth cross cut blade. Even in this case, I will have already cut the piece close to size with the miter saw before machining it to final dimensions. I like the Bosch because it has a large cross cut capacity without sticking out from the wall so far. I haven't used or even seen the Kapex up close so I can't make a comparison.

Timely thread, I'm evaluating the two as well. I do have a vintage radial arm saw, but i keep it set at 90 degrees, I can't imagine getting accurate miters with it.

I had a non-slider 12" Bosch and replaced it with a Kapex to get the greater cross cut capacity. The Kapex is okay. A lot of swarf doesn't get collected but I suppose that's true of all CMS.

I got my Kapex at a discount otherwise I probably would have gone with the Bosch.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have had the Bosch 10" for a couple of years now. I took the time to make sure it was set up properly at the very beginning and I have not been disappointed. I don't recall that I have had to tweak anything since that original setup. I rarely cut anything over seven or eight inches wide, so I can't really speak to the deflection at full extension issue, but I have found it to be quite accurate for my use. I am careful to keep straight, even pressure on the saw and have not had any problems. The dust collection leaves much to be desired, but I think that's the case with most SCMS and CMS from what I've heard and experienced.

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Brader; 01-22-2019 at 3:02 PM.

I own the Kapex and absolutely love it. I also own a cordless 12" Dewalt slider for rough cutting thicker stock because the Kapex doesn't like anything over 6/4. I tried cutting 8/4 walnut with it once and that sucker let me know it didn't like it. With a little fine toning, I can get perfect square finish cuts from the Kapex right off the saw. I build all sorts of things and if I can cut it on the Kapex, I will and joints are nice and tight.

I've read lots of stories on other forums about the Kapex burning up and what not but bought one anyways. No regrets so far and I'd buy another if this one decides to take a dump.