Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Glide or Festool Kapex..how bad is the Bosch?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Antic View Post
    Well gents, I bought the Kapex with some extension wings.
    Totally unbelievable that after all these opinions and comments (from mild to strong, and from spot-on to totally incorrect), including many that discouraged you from getting a Kapex, you would still go ahead and get a Kapex!

But you did one thing right: you tried before you bought!

No one here and in the festool forum can tell us how bad the motor issue really is. Do those 1 dozen or 2 dozen incidents mean anything? Nothing, until we know how many Kapexes Festool has sold. 1 dozen out of 100 is disaster, but not if out of 1,000. So far Festool has kept that secret.

After checking your saw for bed flatness and fence squareness, check the miter cuts first, then use the four-cut method to dial in your square cuts. The bevel cuts are usually dead on from factory. Kapex has the best hold down, dust collection, bevel control; second to none dual laser (read the manual if you attempt to adjust it), and second to none trench cuts.

Unless you are talking about 0.00001" precision, Kapex delivers precision results meeting any fine woodworking demands. Don't trust me? Download the supplementary manual (free) and follow its instructions on how to cut a three way miter joint. Cut one with the Kapex, and cut one with any SCMS named in this thread or outside this thread. Come back and we can discuss if the Kapex is a good choice or not for fine woodworking tasks.

Yes, you can complain about its price...and yes HF offers better miter saws (price wise).

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 01-24-2019 at 12:49 AM.

Have you looked at Delta 26-2250?
    Friend of mine got one and he like it.
    Jaromir

I bought the DeWalt, Bosch and the Kapex when looking for a Slider. DeWalt’s table was out of whack, so I returned it. The Bosch, no matter how many times I adjusted it, would come out of square. The Kapex had a whacked out table as well, but I was able to return it and open another at the dealer and check everything before committing to keep it.

The saw has been amazing so far. Cuts everything I’ve thrown at it. Remains to be seen if the motor fails, but even if it does I’ll ship it off to get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Pelton View Post
    The Kapex had a whacked out table as well, but I was able to return it and open another at the dealer and check everything before committing to keep it.

The saw has been amazing so far. Cuts everything I’ve thrown at it. Remains to be seen if the motor fails, but even if it does I’ll ship it off to get fixed.
    That is why checking the bed flatness and fence squareness should be among the first things to do after the Kapex box is opened. Exchange it if they aren't. When you pay $1500 for a miter saw, you expect nothing less.

Simon

For 1500 dollar miter saw should not have to worry if crap out of box.

Both Festool and Bosch have a No question 30 day warranty on power tools. You don't even need to give a reason although they both appreciate knowing why to see if they can improve. When I specified the reason on Festool's crappy Carvex Jigsaw, they sent me an email and seemed interested in further details. Probably my fault as I just said "Garbage". Never heard a word on the two DOA Bosch items but then that is a simpler reason.

Congratulations on your new purchase! I hope you enjoy it and it exceeds your expectations.

Blog Entries
    Mike, I dont see where JessEm sells the Mast-R-Slide. How long have you had it?

Blog Entries
    I recommend two tests if you get a glide.
    1. Put a good straightedge across the table. I had three of them in my hous at one point with a Bosch tech and all of the tables dipped in the center by about 0.030”.
    2. Perform some test that measures orientation of the blade relative to its movement. The blade should be parallel to the sliding or gliding movement. I’ve read reviews where the glide was a degree out and there is no adjustment.

i would consider either of these problems deal breakers.
    i can’t speak to the accuracy of the Kapex.

I have a DW703 that really old but it’s dialed in square. I would like a slider for the capacity but haven’t found anything yet.

I've had no issues with my Kapex. Seems to cut very straight. This is the first I've heard of the motor issue, so that concerns me, but otherwise it's worked quite well for me.

Yes an OMGA might be awesome. But the Kapex was expensive enough.

I wonder how many of us would buy a really good, VERY solid, straight cutting SCMS if it cost $2K. Or OMGA's 14" one for $6612.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Regarding the need for accuracy. I know that a true craftsman can do great work without great tools. I freely admit that I’m not at that level. So I try to keep my tools aligned precisely so that I don’t have to deal with them as well as my own failings.

so I have a dewalt that is dead square. I wouldn’t replace it with something less accurate.

My two cents. Been using a Dewalt 12" miter, non slider, for going on 18 years now (with a good professionally sharpened blade). Was so happy with first one, gave it to my son about 4 years ago for one of his home construction prjects and bought another identical one while it was on sale for $180 from big box store. Both cut dead on and very repeatable. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I have a Dewalt 779 and added the LED lighting system from the 780. I have a total of $420 invested, it does everything I need from it. The German saws are nice, but how much nicer for that amount you spend over a Dewalt... My only gripe is that the saw is huge and takes up a considerable amount of space (depth).

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    a hand plane and shooting board is a far better way to bring a workpiece to final length and angle, whether 90°, 45°, whatever, when it really matters.

John
    No, accurate machining beats a handplane any day. CNCs prove that point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I've had no issues with my Kapex. Seems to cut very straight. This is the first I've heard of the motor issue, so that concerns me, but otherwise it's worked quite well for me.

Yes an OMGA might be awesome. But the Kapex was expensive enough.

I wonder how many of us would buy a really good, VERY solid, straight cutting SCMS if it cost $2K. Or OMGA's 14" one for $6612.
    Buy used. Industrial equipment of Omga quality have a very long lifespan. Case in point the 40 year old mortising machine in my garage still running on original bearings.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.