Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WiFi in the shop

Direct burial rated, pre-terminated Ethernet cable is easily available from Amazon, FYI. I put mine in the black water pipe as mentioned, but it "can" go right in the ground.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Direct burial rated, pre-terminated Ethernet cable is easily available from Amazon, FYI. I put mine in the black water pipe as mentioned, but it "can" go right in the ground.
    I think someone else mentioned to run two ethernet cables. I did that to have a spare just in case (in conduit). I found a 1000' spool of direct burial cable for cheap and used 1/2 of it.

Dean, if you want to try running the cable (and if I can find the rest of the spool!) you are welcome to some of it, just have to get it to you somehow. I'll be in Greenville on Feb 8 or 9th. I also have the end connectors and a crimper (also somewhere!).

JKJ

I found this on Amzon, $299, claims 150yds

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Repe...00456312&psc=1

Do a search on YouTube for "Long Range Wifi", lots of solutions.

Here's a site that sells packages that make cure your problem.

https://www.radiolabs.com/products/w.../o2connect.php

I have a house next door that I have been renovating forever it seems like.

It is about 350 feet, maybe 400 feet from my home. My basement shop in the main house is above ground, and has a lot of windows. There are some trees between the houses but not too many.

I have an apple airport wifi router/access point in the basement shop, and a NetGear dual band router/extender in the house next door, sitting in a window on the side of the house facing our home.

I have no problems with wifi connectivity. I can get at least 20 MBPS speeds, maybe more, at the house next door.

It was a simple installation. Works great. Happy camper here. So it is possible to set something up that is functional and not too difficult or expensive. But it still probably cost me $250 for the Apple and NegGear devices (been several years, don't remember exactly. I bought the Apple device refurbished from Apple)

I will try to get the model numbers of the devices I am using. The Apple wifi router is plugged into our verizon router with an Ethernet cable. A cheap one but that was probably another ten bucks or so.

Edit: AirPort Extreme Base Station is what I have in my basement workshop. Apparently available from Apple refurbished for $129 currently...
    Last edited by Bill Space; 01-22-2019 at 6:27 PM.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

use a mess network node
    That Jim, is about all I'm capable of when it comes to networking

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    That Jim, is about all I'm capable of when it comes to networking

regards, Rod.
    --

Somebody mentioned using a power line adapter to make the connection. I used to have a similar situation to the O.P. and tried that. The signal was a little weak but worked okay while just sitting there at the computer. The moment I fired up my table saw, the device went off line and only a power on reset would restore functionality. My conclusion was that large power tools create enough electronic noise to render such devices useless.

If you can't or don't want to run wire, then use a point-to-point wireless bridge. Ubiquity makes some really good ones, like the LocoM2 and Nanostation NSM5. They are pretty easy to set up and they just work. I've done several installs with them over the years and the only unit that ever failed was one that got taken off its bracket by a crew replacing siding on the building and was left hanging by its cord. It worked for several months, until enough water got into it from rain (running down the cord through the ethernet jack) to fill it about half full and short it out. That it worked for months hanging upside-down is pretty impressive.

Note that for a point-to-point you'll need to buy two units, one for the house and one for the shop. You also need line of sight, as obstacles will block the wireless signal.

As a follow-up to my post above here are some details.

The distance between my house and the house I am renovating is about 350 feet. I looked into point to point solutions to get Wi-Fi from my house to the other house and found them to be a bit expensive, so I decided to try something different which works very well for me. As I mentioned above I am using an Apple airport extreme base station in my home, and a Netgear Wi-Fi extender in the house next-door. The Netgear device is an AC 1200 Wi-Fi range extender model EX6200.

I remember reading that the Apple Airport extreme base station is able to focus its signal towards whatever it is linking to. I have no reason to doubt this since I get good connections between these two units mentioned above over 350 feet of distance. I checked my speed today from the house next door and I was getting about 50 Mbps up and down.

I don’t know if I just got lucky, but I’ve been using this system for a couple years now, summer and winter, without any issues. There are a couple trees between the houses but not a Forrest, so the signal always seems to get through. I see Walmart has the Netgear extender for sale at under $100 plus about seven dollars shipping. So it looks like for slightly over $200 one could duplicate what I have working for me.

The one issue with Airport Extreme (and Airport Express) is that Apple is no longer making them and has left the AP/Router business. Apple is currently featuring the Linksys Velop Mesh Networking System for their network offering in the online store. (That's what I happen to use for my network interestingly)
    --

The one issue with Airport Extreme (and Airport Express) is that Apple is no longer making them and has left the AP/Router business. Apple is currently featuring the Linksys Velop Mesh Networking System for their network offering in the online store. (That's what I happen to use for my network interestingly)
    Jim, that may be but I checked the Apple website yesterday and they are still selling refurbished AirPort Extreme units. Did not look for a new unit. The refurbished one I bought a couple years ago was in as new condition. More than this I do not know...

My shop is 300 ft from the house. I used an Engenius wireless Ethernet bridge ($80 on Amazon) on a pole on the side of the shop. It was easy to install and has worked great for the last 3 years.

No offense meant, but for a "100'" network run, the only sensible solution is a hardwired network.

Everything else mentioned is going to be either an experiment, a maintenance headache or an overly expensive solution.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Jim, that may be but I checked the Apple website yesterday and they are still selling refurbished AirPort Extreme units. Did not look for a new unit. The refurbished one I bought a couple years ago was in as new condition. More than this I do not know...
    I was on the Apple site as I was typing and couldn't find any reference to the Airport products in refurb/clearance or elsewhere. Perhaps I just missed them. That said, they are pretty much abandoning the product line going forward and that would concern me. (I'm an Apple user and Apple fan, just to be clear...but I replaced my Airport products over a year ago with the Velops system and have been getting far better results)
    --