Thread: I need a project. . . . . . . ....

Blog Entries

I need a project. . . . . . . ....

But I am something of an old dog and have built tables, rocking chairs, and cabinets for all of my children and adult grandchildren. . . .... and I need a project. I have full shop and skill capabilities to make any thing. The only thing I don't have is a lathe. I did turn some spindles in a Paul Sellers class at Homestead Heritage.

I wonder what my first wood lathe should be.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    But I am something of an old dog and have built tables, rocking chairs, and cabinets for all of my children and adult grandchildren. . . .... and I need a project. I have full shop and skill capabilities to make any thing. The only thing I don't have is a lathe. I did turn some spindles in a Paul Sellers class at Homestead Heritage.
    How about a trebuchet. Yes, you should definitely build a trebuchet.

I moved your thread here so that you can immerse yourself in turning and with folks do do turning.

If you want to test the water with turning, one of the "midi" size tools will do nice work, sit on a bench and let you learn quite a bit. Do keep in mind that the lathe is just the start...you also need tooling, workpiece holding and safety gear. And...turning is VERY addictive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I suspect lathe is in my future, I did use one at Homestead Heritage. Any suggestions on a starter lathe?

I suspect lathe is in my future, I did use one at Homestead Heritage. Any suggestions on a starter lathe?
    Lots of past discussions here about starting turning, a search might provide some excellent reading. A used lathe might be good until you are sure you like it, they you can mortgage the house and, er, I mean find something better for the long haul. Turning is highly addictive.

As for other projects I saw the key words "adult grandchildren". In the event there are some smaller versions on the way at some point, I can highly recommend this simple little project. I built this in the early 70s and it's been through three sons and two grandsons and lots of visiting kids and it's still in good shape (except for the leather bridal and ears!) I made it from a 1x12 pine shelving board from the lumberyard.

rocking_horse.jpg rocking_horse_grandsons.jpg rocking_horse_plans_med.jpg

JKJ

You can sift thru the random, or you can look at

http://carlford.info/blog/2015/07/newbie-lathe/

which I think is a good starting point, if you're interested in a lathe.

I don't particularly agree with a lot said in that link. I suggest you find a turning club where you will find many turners that would allow you to see and perhaps try their lathes. Woodturning is like a vortex as it sucks you in. The instant gratification of woodturning vs wood working makes lots of folks forget wood working. Most people who start with a midi lathe go on to buy bigger lathes, you can do small stuff on a midi but not big stuff but a big lathe can do both. Believe me find a club and use that as a resource to find your starting point.

Bill B. Is right on. Sometimes that is not possible. Then track down a turner in your area.
    C&C WELCOME

Agree with above. A turning club may even have a loner lathe. I started with a midi, but now have a full size lathe.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I wonder what my first wood lathe should be.
    With this (skill and abilities) and a full shop of machines, going with a quality lathe like a a Oneway lathe you will be all set and not held back by low quality, never a problem to resell as turners will stand in line to take it over.

The lathe gives you all the possibilities and options are there if needed.

https://oneway.ca

And yes as you will know, you can always go cheaper, the race to the bottom, not myway
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-22-2019 at 5:58 PM.
    Have fun and take care