Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shapeoko 3 XXL

My comments do not really relate to the OP's query but some of the posts have mirrored my limited experience in the world of the hobbyist cnc machines and their mavens. Having a clear plan to carve small logo text on my walnut products saw me arrive on Sawmill Creek/CNC Machines. Thanks to the advice gleaned here I bought an Xcarve. But I was amazed and somewhat freaked out when spending time on the Community Forums. Folks want to cut parts from 3/4" hardwood and plywood with what is essentially a beefy palm router. They design bigger and bigger rails and maker slides and wonder why v wheels break and bolts bend. These little "robots" can bite. I am as respectful to my little 611 router (which is way to close to my face) as I am with my 5 hp table saw. Do not get me wrong. I really like carving small stuff and my customers love the personalized stuff. But I worry the popularity of the hobbyist machine is going to result in a huge lawsuit when a project goes "off the rails"
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Stump View Post
    My comments do not really relate to the OP's query but some of the posts have mirrored my limited experience in the world of the hobbyist cnc machines and their mavens. Having a clear plan to carve small logo text on my walnut products saw me arrive on Sawmill Creek/CNC Machines. Thanks to the advice gleaned here I bought an Xcarve. But I was amazed and somewhat freaked out when spending time on the Community Forums. Folks want to cut parts from 3/4" hardwood and plywood with what is essentially a beefy palm router. They design bigger and bigger rails and maker slides and wonder why v wheels break and bolts bend. These little "robots" can bite. I am as respectful to my little 611 router (which is way to close to my face) as I am with my 5 hp table saw. Do not get me wrong. I really like carving small stuff and my customers love the personalized stuff. But I worry the popularity of the hobbyist machine is going to result in a huge lawsuit when a project goes "off the rails"

This is somewhat what I was trying to relate to in my reply (post #4). You make the point far better.