Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which saw for a cut on a 6 foot post?

My choice for posts - Prazi Beam Cutter

After the cut is done pour some wood preservative on the top of the post.
    Bill D.

My choice would be, and is, a Sawzaill and the correct blade.
    I did 5 new fence posts this way this past summer when the neighbors tree fell through our fence.
    I'm assuming that these are just 4x4 pressure treated posts and not some fancy pre-made architectural design posts.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The fence builders around here use a chain saw. Personally, I like the sawzall idea which is a good bit lighter and would give a cleaner cut.

Blog Entries
    A wood worker will take whatever saw he has and go cut it unless he is looking for a reason to buy a new toy.

If that's the case go get one you like and a speed square to mark the cut line.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-22-2019 at 11:02 AM.

i would grab the chain saw and do it, without thought.

Gee wiz, you woodworkers can't leave the fine woodworking behind at the shop's door It's a fence post, not a Hepplewhite highboy.

If there is an outlet nearby then sawzall, if not, then a Swede saw (tubular firewood bow saw).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    just dig a deeper hole
    Or raise the ceiling!

MS660 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    The fence builders around here use a chain saw. Personally, I like the sawzall idea which is a good bit lighter and would give a cleaner cut.
    A chainsaw, while working sideways off a ladder, or holding over your head, should be a big cause for concern. I'm not gonna lie, I've done both on more than one occasion, but the sawzall was much easier.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've always made that cut with a circular saw while standing on a secured tall ladder.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    If it doesn't need a smooth finish then a chain saw. If you cut the top at an angle the water will run off some and they will last longer.
    I actually tried that, on alternating posts out of the same bundle. It made absolutely no difference in life. Those were installed in 1980, out of the old PT stuff, and they all need replacing this Spring.

You can make a decently smooth cut with a chainsaw, by cutting on top of the bar, and following a line with a sharp chain. I framed a house like that once while we were delayed with getting power run to the site. That was when I was young, before I owned a generator.

I'll provide the third or fourth vote for a sawzall. If you don't already have one, you can get an adequate one at Harbor Freight for nineteen bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Gee wiz, you woodworkers can't leave the fine woodworking behind at the shop's door It's a fence post, not a Hepplewhite highboy.

If there is an outlet nearby then sawzall, if not, then a Swede saw (tubular firewood bow saw).
    Nobody has mentioned the best choice of all. Tie a length of fiber optic cable to the post, grab a beverage, and wait. Take care of it for you.

Given your choices, I'd use a western crosscut handsaw, especially if you have one with 7, 8, or 9 tpi. Fast enough and there's little chance that you'll hurt yourself unless you fall off whatever you're standing on.

Hopefully he has cut that post by now...