Thread: Older Performax 16-32 Drum Sander With Jet 16-32 Alignment Kit

Older Performax 16-32 Drum Sander With Jet 16-32 Alignment Kit

I recently purchased an older but very used Performax 16-32 Drum Sander that has a few good years left. Like many, I am having the typical conveyor alignment issues, but after tearing down the machine, and a couple hours of adjustments, I was able to get the conveyor to track...somewhat. I was reading this morning that after Jet purchased Performax they added an Alignment Kit to help with conveyor alignment issues. The kit appears to be a pair of ceramic blocks with magnets attached. These blocks are installed in one of the U-channel reinforcements under the belt platen. I'm not sure exactly how these work, but I was thinking about buying a set for my old Performax and wanted to verify they will work with the older units as they do with the newer Jet machines.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Eric

That's interesting - I haven't run across this kit before. I have a Performax 16-32 that I retrofitted with the Jet hood and Abranet HD abrasive, and it has taken quite a bit of trial and error fiddling to get the (new) conveyor roll as parallel as possible. Mine now can run 15-20 minutes before I notice a drift. Where are you seeing this kit online? A quick search and I couldn't find it.

I never heard of that alignment kit.

My Performax 22-44 has been fine and tracking since I first adjusted it. I noticed some alignment info on the Joe Woodworker web site that might be interesting. I like the dual nylock nut idea.

https://www.joewoodworker.com/performax.htm

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    That's interesting - I haven't run across this kit before. I have a Performax 16-32 that I retrofitted with the Jet hood and Abranet HD abrasive, and it has taken quite a bit of trial and error fiddling to get the (new) conveyor roll as parallel as possible. Mine now can run 15-20 minutes before I notice a drift. Where are you seeing this kit online? A quick search and I couldn't find it.

Keith, I saw them advertised on Ebay first. Then I checked the Jet Manual and they are shown there. I just put a new conveyor belt on this and spent upwards of about 2 hours trying to get it to track. Mine will run about 10 minutes before I notice a drift toward the outboard side. I think a quarter turn of turn to tighten the outboard belt side and I will be close. However I am considering buying this alignment kit if it helps.

I'd hardly call it an alignment kit. If the feed belt starts to go off the side, it cuts into the ceramic and starts to destroy the belt edge. Don't waste your money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'd hardly call it an alignment kit. If the feed belt starts to go off the side, it cuts into the ceramic and starts to destroy the belt edge. Don't waste your money on it.
    Great, Thanks for the tip Richard...just the advice I was searching for. I appreciate it.

Eric

I had the performax 10-20 for way too many years. The dang tracking was a nightmare. I sanded plenty with it, but I used up most of the cuss words available in the universe. I finally coughed up the $ for a 19-38 and just for blood pressure #s reduction it was worth the $
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Commarato View Post
    Keith, I saw them advertised on Ebay first. Then I checked the Jet Manual and they are shown there. I just put a new conveyor belt on this and spent upwards of about 2 hours trying to get it to track. Mine will run about 10 minutes before I notice a drift toward the outboard side. I think a quarter turn of turn to tighten the outboard belt side and I will be close. However I am considering buying this alignment kit if it helps.
    I am screaming inside - I just wrote a LONG post to this and then clicked the obvious "Reply to Thread" instead of the subtle "Post Quick Reply" off to the right. And lost everything. I've done this several times on this site but I never seem to remember. Probably a couple of hours out of my life overall.

Long story short, this was an -option- in the Performax version, but -included- in the Jet version. I just ordered it (I also ordered bearings) but won't get them installed for a couple of months.

Edit: (from Jet docs) Tracker Kit (98-0080)Trackers dramatically reduce tracking adjustments of conveyor belts. They are alreadyinstalled on your sander. The followinginformation is for re-setting or replacing your trackers, should that become necessary.

Edit 2: And now, having bought this kit, I zoomed in on the diagram and see it's just a couple of...dunno, maybe nylon?...guides that...kind of guide the edges of the belt. I could probably drill and machine screw in a couple of scraps of UHMV. These are apparently held by magnets, maybe that's better.
    Last edited by Keith Pleas; 01-21-2019 at 9:47 PM.

My Performax 16/32 came with the ceramic blocks installed as standard.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
    My Performax 16/32 came with the ceramic blocks installed as standard.
    So, do you think they do anything? Are you on the other guide slot now?

The docs Note: When installed properly, onlythe bottom lip of the Tracker will be visible.The top slot is to be used if the bottom slotwears out.