Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bar soap

I use whichever deodorant soap is on sale. I've always thought that body wash / shower gels were a wasteful marketing ploy to sell more product since you need to use so much. But I read an article in Family Handyman (I think) that says that since liquid soaps are made entirely from synthetics, they don't create the scum/residues on shower walls and floors that most bar soaps do. Hence more and more hotels, gyms, schools, etc., are switching to them for ease of housekeeping.

I got mine from fight club.

I'm cheap... I save the little chips and melt them back into big bars of soap.

Coast for bar soap. All other soaps leave some sort of a film which I despise. The Coast soap washes off very easy and thoughtfully. Not much of a fragrance which is good.

I know the liquid body wash is popular now days but never liked it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I’ve had good luck with Muguiars Gold Class car wash.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    “Well, I don’t buy any soap” is pretty funny. I know a couple of guys who brag about having elite status with airlines and hotels with air of superiority. I bet you are more fun to be around.
    I have elite status with two airlines and two hotels, but don't brag about it. I would rather be home than spending so much time on the road. Even now, I'm sitting in a hotel in Sioux Fall, SD waiting for my next flight to Denver so I can fly back to Virginia for another week.

When I'm traveling on short trips, I bring my own body wash. For longer trips, I buy locally and toss what I don't use at the end of the trip unless I have checked baggage. Most of the time I use a back pack for everything. I don't care for bar soap.

Blog Entries
    My wife makes soap as a hobby. We use her castoffs so I get all sorts of weird smelling stuff. She gives away the good stuff.

Lol. About 60 years ago when I had my first knee surgery, the doctor gave me a bar of Dail and said wash with this for a few days before surgery. When the nurse was prepping me on the day of surgery she washed down my leg with no other than Dial bar soap. I've been using Dial soap ever since. Just the original no special scents.
    Jim

My exwife loved to make soap and for about 20 years I dont think we ever purchased soap, shampoo, dish detergent, etc.. This suited me just fine because for some odd reason certain soaps, perfumes, or something will give me an allergic skin issue like hives mainly on my back. From that point forward I have never used commercial soaps. Now new sister inlaw is into soap making thankfully.

One thing I will never forget is that we lived on a septic system for many years and when we sold the property we had to have a state septic inspection which included digging up a leg of the leach field to inspect the gravel bed. Local septic companies would allow you to dig out your own septic tank lid and a couple corners of the leach if you wanted to save money on the inspection. When the company we used for tank pumping (state licensed inspectors) came out they thought we were scamming them. The gravel was nearly clean and looked like new gravel. They thought we had dug up the leach and poured new gravel in. They dug up a few more inspection holes and said they had never seen a leach field that way 30-40 years old so clean. After asking a bunch of questions and the home made soap came up they said that the wax and perfumes bath products were a major contributor to leach failure because they cant be broken down. Always stuck with me.

The one in the blue box at the 99 cent store.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I use whichever deodorant soap is on sale. I've always thought that body wash / shower gels were a wasteful marketing ploy to sell more product since you need to use so much. But I read an article in Family Handyman (I think) that says that since liquid soaps are made entirely from synthetics, they don't create the scum/residues on shower walls and floors that most bar soaps do. Hence more and more hotels, gyms, schools, etc., are switching to them for ease of housekeeping.
    My son switched to body wash just for this reason. He got tired of cleaning the scum in his shower and tells me that there is little to clean now. He used to clean it weekly and now does it monthly and it still takes about half the time he used to spend once a week.

I may have to turn in my 'man card' but I use Oil of Olay. I find that it is much nicer and doesn't leave any kind of a film. I used to buy it at Costco, but they only carry Dove now so I get it at Wally World.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Dove.
    Not a body wash fan.

I'm 76 and the skin on my feet has a tendency to dry out and crack - I've been using unscented olive oil soap for a number of years. Only downside is that it will get slimy or melt if it sits in any water and not kept in soap container.