Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sawmill Purchase

I miswrote the hoe reaches 14 ft. it has a digging depth of 10 ft. I asked the neighbor who is 88 and he said he has never seen it rain like this,

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I miswrote the hoe reaches 14 ft. it has a digging depth of 10 ft. I asked the neighbor who is 88 and he said he has never seen it rain like this,
    I could be happy with 10'

I really enjoyed last winter. A dry winter is great when you have cows. But we did not grow enough hay, so barely have enough to get by. My corral and pastures are a mess, but have to be happy hay will grow this spring.

John do you have much trouble with the weed doc ? if so have you found something good to control it with , I am currently using a mix of forefront and 2-4-d

Oh I am just spot spraying no boom sprayer trying to save the clover.

John do you have much trouble with the weed doc ? if so have you found something good to control it with , I am currently using a mix of forefront and 2-4-d
    I had to look up dock. I've had a little that I spot spray. We had a lot of buttercup for several years, getting worse, and the only the goats would eat a few of the flowers, none of the plants. 2-4-D a couple of years ago in March took care of almost all of it and I spot sprayed the rest with glyphosate as I spotted them.

Besides that, most every thing else is mixed grass and clover, horses, donkeys, and camelids love it.

JKJ

I heard that with real camels the pastures are to rich here, is the a problem with lamas and alpacas?

I heard that with real camels the pastures are to rich here, is the a problem with lamas and alpacas?
    I haven't heard of anyone having health problems from feeding grass except if animals who are kept on hay are suddenly given free access to lush green spring pasture. (But I understand horses can have the same problem.) Most people I know give the llamas/alpacas access to the pasture all year around so the animals are slowly acclimated as the grass comes in. I noticed mine grazing a lot just in the last week - we have clover and mixed grasses just starting to come in. I can believe lush pastures might indeed be too rich for their Old World camelid cousins (camels).

The only real llama/alpaca dietary problem I know of is the lack of certain minerals in the soil in this part of the world, specifically selenium. If the soil doesn't have the minerals the plants can't have them. Llama feed has the minerals but I don't know anyone who doesn't mostly feed grass/hay.

Keepers who know about this supplement the diets with special minerals formulated specifically for camelids. We buy bags of powdered minerals from a mill in Georgia; I put them out every few days and the animals eat them like candy! I have to keep the mini donkeys and horses away or they will scarf them up too.

Yikes, getting back on topic, sort of - it's about time to fire up the Woodmizer - I have logs a-waitin!

JKJ

Alrighty, I was in your shoes about a year ago, looking heavily at that Woodland Mills 126, also looking at everything else out there at the time. I bought the Woodmaxx 26e. It had what I thought were head over heels more standard equipment than the Woodland Mills 126 AND the option of electric start! Like I say I've had it at right at a year and its doing great. I too am retired and was not looking for a job just some way of supplying myself with lumber.
    I have mine set up stationary, no real reason to move it.

That's great Steve. We are a zany bunch aren't we? I think you have the decision parsed out just about right. Next thing you know you'll be working seven twelves for fun eh? I found this character on youtube and started in dreaming until I realized that I can barely lift 50lbs at my advanced stage of physical degradation. Anyway, I would love to have a mill for a month or so and a boom truck and a hefty trailer. I know where there is an enormous pile of huge Cottonwood logs down in a farmer's field. I imagine it is spalted well. He cut it down because the roots were tearing heck out of his irrigation ditches. Oh, I'll need a wood yard to store the slabs too. On and on it goes. Take a look.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDp...ie7u05lbfO3zJQ

Do you know if they are back in business or have a contact # for Lumberjack? That phone # is not valid. Thanks. Any other sawmill sellers local to GA?

They are back at it ,just a few days ago I went to a local saw blade maker Kenna-saw( I think that is how they spell it) they are in White Ga. just south from Fairmont, Ga. where the sawmill guys are. Anyway I stopped by and talked to the son , his dad had some heart problems so they put the sawmill stuff on the back burner for a while but are back at it now. I asked for a new business card and he has not had new ones printed yet. The boy said though his dads phone # still works here is the two # that I have joe @ 706 263 6944 and JM @ 770 773 0691 . They have changed the mill very little since they made mine in 2016. I have had good luck with mine.

I've been looking at sawmills for a good while, too. My problem is that I need one for quarter sawing good sized logs. Most have too limited of a depth of cut, for what I want to do. At the top of my list is a Hud-son 52, but the price is more than I can pay off, and still make a profit, for what I want to do with one.

Norwood just came out with a new model HD38, which has a 14" depth of cut, with an introductory price of less than 12k. I'd really like to have bigger wheels, for more depth of cut, but 14" would be doable.

In regards to getting rid of Dock weed, I may have finally found the answer. We have a couple of stands of it that I've been fighting for a number of years. This year, I sprayed a 4 times recommended strength of 2,4,D at the end of March, and it's all now bare dirt. I'm not sure if it's gone for good, or not, but it's the most promising results I've had so far. I don't have enough time to dig it all up.

I hate dock it is so tuff to get rid of, did you spot spray or did you boom spray your whole field?

I hate dock it is so tuff to get rid of, did you spot spray or did you boom spray your whole field?
    I used to dig dock out by the roots but I haven't seen much of it come back after boom spraying 2-4-D ester in the spring. Takes out the buttercup too. If any comes back later I spot spray with amine. (I have a little electric pump 16 gal tank I strap to the back of the 4-wheeler.)