Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sawmill Purchase

It was sooo wet here I could not get out into the field this spring to spray I will have to at it after the first cutting which should be coming up soon. looks like I will get quite a few bales, that is the good thing about it being wet early.

Steve, You have received some great feedback here. I am the same age and was in the same place a year ago trying to make the same decision. I decided I didn't want to go mobile because of liability issues, insurance and the very real problem of handling logs somewhere unknown. I too looked hard at the 126 and 130. I think they are a very decent mill for the money. At some point I discovered the EZ boardwalk mills made here in missouri. I could not find any negative feedback on them and they come assembled. The trailer kit is only $600 more if I ever decided I wanted that. I ordered their smaller mill, The JR and a week or so went by and I called back and changed the order to the larger EZ 40. I live on an acreage and some of my timber was to large to handle on the smaller mill. I have no regrets.
    Regardless of what you go with I think you will thoroughly enjoy the experience. It never gets old discovering the beauty of what's underneath that bark.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I hate dock it is so tuff to get rid of, did you spot spray or did you boom spray your whole field?
    I sprayed the whole pastures with 1 oz per gallon, to pretreat against Buttercups. Then I went back, and spot sprayed the Dock with 4oz. per gallon 2,4,D. There were just two stands of it, about 20 feet wide, and 30 feet long. I've been fighting it for several years. It's still bare ground this week, after a couple of good rains. Maybe at least it won't spread this time. I don't have time to dig it all up.

I switched this tank setup to the new Chapin external mix tank, so I can switch concentrates without worrying about having a whole tank of anything. It has a dial that adjusts the mix ratio. Two pumps are for the boom, that covers about 35 feet, and the smaller volume, higher pressure one for the wand that stays up by the seat. I have switches I can control what I want to do from the seat, except I have to stop to adjust the mix ratio. No picture of current tank setup, but it's really nice to only have water in the big tank.

This stays on the 7' rotary cutter all through the growing season. Two tailwheels make it almost as good as a finish mower, with sharp blades. I fabricated a door on the top, at the back, so I can easily access blades to sharpen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-10-2021 at 7:32 PM.

I like the EZ Boardwalk mills. I just wish they'd put larger diameter wheels on the 50, to get more depth of cut. If they had, that would be my choice.

You don't need large wheels to get a deep cut. A 19" upright shop bandsaw will cut nearly 19" between the blade and frame. My sawmill has 19" wheels yet can only cut 7" deep. The difference is in the frame design. The sawmill guys just need to modernize their designs. Norwood recently did, in fact. Their new large mill has 19" wheels and a 14" depth of cut.

John

Just as a fyi the 280 saw that is made in ga. can cut 9.5 inchs maxx. above blade