I am on the verge of buying myself a small mill. I have narrowed it down to a couple of companies and was wondering if the added cost of mobility is worth it. I don't want this to become a business, but I do want to take advantage of helping pay for the mill with some added milling. I keep telling myself this is just a hobby and my better half says if you do this, you might as well make some money off it. I'm retired and don't want a job that ends up not being enjoyable in the long run.

The added cost would be approximately $1600 more for the trailer kit. Another thing to consider is the shipping is not that much more by buying as a package from the beginning rather than buying later if I decide that route and having to pay shipping cost again.
I figured if someone wants something milled, they can bring it to me, if they want it bad enough. Going to someone else's place and having to possibly leave equipment on site doesn't thrill me too much. Besides the fact that if it's on my property, I can quit and go inside when ever I desire. Not being on a time clock appeals to me.

I've been told by a few folks that said if they had someone to come to their place they would have this or that milled because they had no way to get the log to the mill. But to me it would start to feel like a job. Sorta sounds like I've already talked myself out of it. But I do have a triler that I can transport small logs on and have a way to load smaller logs up to 12'.

So for those who have experience with both stationary and portable (mobile) mills, can you give me some guidance and advice?

Thanks,
Steve