Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Pocket Plane use

Some people bronze their kids first shoe and use it for ornamental purposes, I have the the Veritas stainless PP on the mantle.

I bought this recently, and I already had the apron plane, and various block planes, including the DX60.

I find it is now my go to chamfering plane, as the small size gives a very good feel for the angle it is held at, and the tight mouth keeps tearout to a minimum.

The apron plane is now set for very fine cuts for accurate smoothing.

Yes, I’m like that, I can rationalize most things.

FWIW, I went ahead and ordered the Anniversary edition Pocket Plane.

It’s much smaller than the Apron Plane or the LN. The mouth ends up being very tight. The plane (typical to Veritas and LN products) is very nicely made.

I haven’t formed an opinion on usefulness, usability or practically.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    FWIW, I went ahead and ordered the Anniversary edition Pocket Plane.

It’s much smaller than the Apron Plane or the LN. The mouth ends up being very tight. The plane (typical to Veritas and LN products) is very nicely made.

I haven’t formed an opinion on usefulness, usability or practically.
    My wallet almost got opened for a small, #101 violin maker's plane. (it's so cute!) Also was feeling the pull of a new Tite-Mark®. Alas, thinking about where they would be used came up short.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, You may be spot on and this’ll get under utilized.

Generally I don’t like/want duplicate tooling or capability (coming from someone who has both the LN 102 and LV Apron Plane) and the Pocket Plane is smaller than the Apron Plane and has a much tighter mouth.

It is for a different use, but I may or may not need it.

Ironically, I did use it tonight and it worked perfectly. I use old hotel magnetic key cards to clean up and scrape off slightly stiffened glue. The edges of the plastic cards get rounded over from scraping, so I ended up using the LV PP for restoring fresh square edges so I could scrape glue. Not the most practical use for the plane, but it worked perfectly and I needed the scrapers for some panel glue ups.

BTW, the LOML chose the LN 102 for herself. I did the chivalrous thing and bought my own LV Apron Plane so I wouldn’t touch hers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I had an apron plane until the Hurricane Harvey flood decimated my shop. I think I will order another.
    I found my apron plane. My shop is still not back to normal, bit it is close.

My wife just got the Veritas Pocket Plane for my birthday present. What a sweet little plane! I have started using it to do the fine tuning on jewelry boxes, rounding off sharp corners, etc. Very useful and a pleasure to hold in hand.

Blog Entries
    If you don't have an "apron plane" this would probably be as good as any plane that fills that spot. I use my LV apron plane much more than a block plane; it is lighter and more nimble for small tasks. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ok....so if I want a lightweight block/apron plane which one do I want? The pocket plane or the apron plane? Or the LN bronze violin?

Given a choice of all the block planes available, with the criteria being you can only have one and it must be small, then my choice would be a LN #102. For a full size block plane, the Veritas NX/DX60, and the pocket block plane would be the Veritas Pocket Plane (especially the SS version).

The #102 would come with an A2 blade. This works perfectly well with a 25 degree bevel. I have an O1 for mine as well, and I think I actually prefer the A2! It takes and holds an excellent edge.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-28-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Ok, for the sake of argument let’s add some more details. If you already have a full size block plane and you’re looking to supplement that with something smaller and lighter...

looks like derek is suggesting the LV pocket plane over the LV apron or the LN violin plane

In my experience, the LV Apron plane is a great fit for the 'if I could have only one block plane' category, same category where Derek is recommending the LN 102. Both planes can do normal block plane work as well as lighter detail work, to a point. I see the pocket plane is more of a chamfering/light instrument work tool. So yes, if you already have a full-size block plane, the Pocket plane could complement it while the Apron plane would have more in common with your full-size plane. It really depends on the type of work that you are, or are wanting, to do. The larger the pieces you make, I expect the less utility you would get from the Pocket plane. I have no experience with the LN Violin plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Ok, for the sake of argument let’s add some more details. If you already have a full size block plane and you’re looking to supplement that with something smaller and lighter...

looks like derek is suggesting the LV pocket plane over the LV apron or the LN violin plane
    Here is a photo of the planes I mentioned (except the LN #102 is the #103 in this photo). I do not have a #102. This #103 I purchased about 25 years ago.

At the rear is the Veritas NX60. Finest large block plane. George loves it as well. This is art and a working plane in one. Who would not enjoy using it? (I don't think it is available at this time. The DX60 model is equally excellent, actually perhaps better in the hand as the body is grippier).

To the left in the middle is the Veritas Pocket Plane Anniversary Model. I received the iron model for preproduction assessment, and was knocked out. I really did not plan on purchasing the SS version, but it was my birthday (in January) and I said "what the Hell ... I shall regret it later if I did not do so". This one is even nicer in the hand than the iron version.

To the right in the middle is LN #103. I have loved this plane from the time I purchased it all those years ago. I thought that I was getting a #102 at the time and did not read the label properly (should have had my reading glasses on!). In some ways this has been a better plane than a #102 as the higher bed (20 degrees) creates a higher cutting angle, which is better for chamfering. The only aspect I did not like about the #103 was the large mouth. A few years ago I closed it up by epoxying in a brass shim ...

The mouth is now tight, and the bed angle is 19 degrees. Great plane. Great fit in the hand. One block plane for all occasions.

Now there is a LN Violin Plane bottom right. I purchased this about 18 months ago to get into small places (purchased from LN Australia). Plus it is so cute! Again, the mouth was larger than desired, and again I modified it.

An important difference with the Veritas Pocket Plane is that the latter has a true Norris-type adjuster, and this works well. By contrast, the LN only offers fore-and-back movement. The LN is comfortable in the hand, but the Veritas is more so with its squirrel tail.

The mouths of the Veritas Pocket Planes come tight. No modifications needed.

I think that anyone would be happy with either, but my preference is the Veritas (trying to be unbiased here).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, thank you for your post. I’d like to know a bit more about how you went about adding the shim to the violin plane. It appears you used a thin piece of brass, cut to fit and attached. Could you provide details on the thickness of the shim and what you used to “glue” it in.

I have one, love it, but a tighter mouth would be nice. Thank you!