Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walnut medicine cabinet

Very nice Brian. I like your miter block too. Sometimes the small details, mitered dovetails, make a lot of difference in the overall quality look of the work. Definitely worth the effort to learn and use it.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Very nice Brian. I like your miter block too. Sometimes the small details, mitered dovetails, make a lot of difference in the overall quality look of the work. Definitely worth the effort to learn and use it.
    Jim
    Thanks Jim.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to share your work and approach. Your joinery is inspiring. And nice gennou and handle. Hiroki?

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to share your work and approach. Your joinery is inspiring. And nice gennou and handle. Hiroki?

Best,
    Chris
    Thanks Chris! Yes, 100 monme Hiroki courtesy of our friend Stan.

Brian, The extreme closeup photos are great and your precision shines at 10X magnification.

Nice! I also have the pleasure of enjoying a Hiroki thanks to Stan, though mine is lighter for dovetailing (240 g). Will be watching your progress and am curious about your plans for doors.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    Brian, The extreme closeup photos are great and your precision shines at 10X magnification.
    Thank you Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Nice! I also have the pleasure of enjoying a Hiroki thanks to Stan, though mine is lighter for dovetailing (240 g). Will be watching your progress and am curious about your plans for doors.

Best,
    Chris
    I allowed myself to spring for a 60 monme (~225g) at the same time, and I did use that one cutting the dovetails. The 100 monme is about 375g and I find myself grabbing it for general work & mortising. I have a 120 monme Hiroki from another source that hasn't been handled yet, although the extra weight (450g) would have been nice to have for assembling the joints.

The doors will be mirrored glass, probably 3/8" thick since they will be frameless. Haven't quite worked out all those details yet.

Nice work Brian. Is that a Stanley 46 you are putting to use ? Original irons or reproductions from ebay? Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Nice work Brian. Is that a Stanley 46 you are putting to use ? Original irons or reproductions from ebay? Mark
    Thanks Mark. Yep Stanley 46, and an old one. Picked one up a while ago with a full compliment of original cutters. The steel is a little softer than I'd like, but original is nice.

That's quite the triple crown! I also have a 375 g gennou, though didn't spring for another Hiroki. And a 450g is on the list...

Will look forward to the doors, sounds like a clean design.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Nice Work! If Derek can steal your jig, can I steal your turtle shell Vise? I'm working out details for a bathroom medicine cabinet as well. Most likely Q-Sawn Oak I have for scraps from larger project.

What is reconstituted quartered Walnut? I know what the Walnut part is But the rest, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 01-22-2019 at 1:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    Nice Work! If Derek can steal your jig, can I steal your turtle shell Vise? I'm working out details for a bathroom medicine cabinet as well. Most likely Q-Sawn Oak I have for scraps from larger project.

What is reconstituted quartered Walnut? I know what the Walnut part is But the rest, I'm not sure.
    It's an engineered wood product. Arguably you could say that any wood or paper backed veneer is technically an engineered product, but the reconstituted stuff really is process engineered. Here's a link:
    https://www.looklikesdecospan.com/en...ituted_veneer/

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work, Brian!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Beautiful work, Brian!
    Thanks Brian! Much appreciated