Thread: Source for Reclaimed White Oak Beam

Source for Reclaimed White Oak Beam

Does anyone know of a source for a reclaimed white oak beam? Looking for something for something roughly 5+" by 8+" and 7 feet long. For a variety of reasons white oak is the only acceptable species. Since it going to be a fireplace mantle and focal point of the living room I would like it be reclaimed from a barn, warehouse or have some type of interesting history. I know this type of material is very common in the northern Mid-West over to the East Coast and shipping is not an issue. Sourcing something locally is not a viable option; central Texas is somewhat of a barren wasteland when it comes to the diversity of reclaimed materials, old iron tools and other cool woodworking stuff.
    Last edited by John Goodin; 01-19-2019 at 10:54 PM.

25 years ago we used to get 10x10 oak beams in the San Franciscio area. These were used as dunnage to ship big pipe on railcars from Pennsyvania. You might ask around at petroleum companies. These were just thrown on a scrap pile for several years, free for the taking.
    Bill D.

There is a local shop here in Western Colorado that specializes in bringing in recycled white oak.
    https://americanantiquelumber.com/
    They are top notch, have a good selection, can de-nail, kiln dry and mill if you want.

I've dealt with these guys on white oak before. Their inventory varies of course, so no telling what they might have now:

https://vintagetimbers.com/

Blog Entries
    If you google "reclaimed lumber Texas", you will see several dealers offering reclaimed lumber.
    You will have to call them to see what they have.

There are lumber yards in Houston that sell white oak. I would check with them. They may have reclaimed as well.

In Michigan, a good source is Reclaimed Michigan. They have a website with phone number if you want to give them a call.

There's a guy in Newcastle Indiana on Craigslist with 30 of them. I don't know to post the link

If you go with reclaimed it’s a good idea have it heat sterilized in a kiln. Lots of reclaimed lumber has powder post beetles in it.

John, I’m local to you (Austin). Local places I would try, in order of likelihood:

-Berdoll Sawmill in Bastrop
    -Hatch Workshop in East Austin
    -Delta Millworks, also in East Austin

Good luck,

Erik

Blog Entries
    Here is a source

https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Visit Mason's mill. You will probably leave with your lumber.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-23-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks Erik,
    I am working in Mueller tomorrow and Hatch is just south of there on Tillery. I just swing by afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    John, I’m local to you (Austin). Local places I would try, in order of likelihood:

-Berdoll Sawmill in Bastrop
    -Hatch Workshop in East Austin
    -Delta Millworks, also in East Austin

Good luck,

Erik