Thread: Welded and Restored a Cracked KK19 Block Plane

Welded and Restored a Cracked KK19 Block Plane

I bought a keen kutter KK19 block plane at the local tool club for all of $2 last weekend. It had a cracked cheek and missing knob, but I wanted to try mig welding it back together so I gave it a shot today. I'm a pretty bad welder, but it was a fun experiment.

Original plane with crack:

Removing material to make room for the weld bead:

After a lot of cleanup, and after restoring the other parts:

Another view:

It works decently, but the iron required a steep back bevel to get to good steel and the high carbon piece is almost used up. I might replace it someday if I can find something that will fit (anyone know of a commercial option that will work?):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    the iron required a steep back bevel to get to good steel and the high carbon piece is almost used up. I might replace it someday if I can find something that will fit (anyone know of a commercial option that will work?):
    Images of both sides of the blade would help others recognize if it looks like something they have.

Also measure the width of the blade. There are a few sizes. Stanley used 1-3/8" & 1-5/8" on most of their adjustable blade block planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Try to match it at hocktools.com. if you have trouble on the site you can call.

Nice job on the repair

That plane will last another 100 years. Well done. Are you planning on replacing the bolt with a proper brass knob?

Wow that fix looks amazing! It blends in very nicely!

I bought an old Stanley No. 6 from Ebay and it showed up cracked. Unfortunately, the crack starts on the cheek but ends on the sole.

The seller refunded %100 of my money so I basically have the plane for free...I'm going to attempt to fix it. If it looks less than half as good as yours I'll be ecstatic.