Thread: PORTER-CABLE 4-1/2-Inch Blade with 3/8-Inch Arbor

PORTER-CABLE 4-1/2-Inch Blade with 3/8-Inch Arbor

I'm going to replace the blade on my PORTER-CABLE 314 4-1/2-Inch Trim Saw.
    Can anyone provide any insight on the blades listed below? Is the Riptide really worth almost double the price?

Thanks Ed

PORTER-CABLE PC412TCT 4-1/2" 24T TCT Saw Blade
    $10.98

PORTER-CABLE 12870 Riptide 4-1/2-Inch 20 Tooth ATB Thin Kerf General Purpose Saw Blade with 3/8-Inch Arbor $21.98

I'm liking the Oshlun 18T better than any blade I've ever used on mine. They also make a 30T, but the 18 is cutting plenty smooth enough. Do a google search for
    Oshlun 4-1/2" saw blade and they will both show up from a bunch of places. An Oshlun is also the best blade I've ever had on the 16-5/16" Makita. These are the only Oshlun blades I've ever used, but I will be buying more.

Forrest Woodworker II turned my 314 into the saw I'd always hoped it would be. Particularly smooth on plywood. The freud is about as sorry of an excuse for a blade for this saw that I've ever run across. Don't know the Oshlun.

1 WWII - 1.jpg

1 WWII - 2.jpg

I agree with the recommendation on the Forrest blade. It gives excellent results.

Blog Entries
    Plus 1 for Forest Blades.

It looks like the verdict is in... Forrest it shall be! I have a number of other blades from Forrest, but didn't think about them for this blade.
    They're $$$$ but the results are worth it!

Thanks all for your advice,
    Ed

You wouldn't be sorry about putting $7.54 in the Oshlun blade to have for things you don't want to run the Forrest in. I have a number of Forrest blades too, but can't justify putting close to a hundred bucks in one for one of the 4-1/2" saws.