Thread: Kumiko, What Are The Best Books and Videos To Learn Buy?

Kumiko, What Are The Best Books and Videos To Learn Buy?

I know Google is your friend but I thought for those that have done it or did the search on the topic before me could make some recommendations of books, videos or even a weekend class in Mid-Michigan that may help jump start my learning search with technics and jigs and the best ways to cut the parts.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Desmond King builds and teaches about kumiko and shoji. http://kskdesign.com.au/ He's written four books now, from basics through to the advanced. You can find them on Amazon. Or if you like video, check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khr5Is3kT8s .

Blog Entries
    I second Jamie's recommendation, Desmond's stuff is excellent.

My favorite book on Japanese construction is 'Measure and Construction of the Japanese House", in that book the author lays out various basic shoji patterns which I find very appealing.

I'll offer some advice that the best you can do is to be absolutely scientifically precise when preparing kumiko, it will help tremendously when you go to start cutting joinery.

Are you planning to build shoji screens or just kumiko?
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-19-2019 at 9:35 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

There are several good videos on you tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Desmond King builds and teaches about kumiko and shoji..
    Jamie thanks for the recommendation on King I will check it out.

Brian I am just looking at small kumiko projects to get me started and see how it goes.

I had some one recommend this on an other forum that is a pretty good learn. A guy named Mike Farrington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqAbRqhEBY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmOZEAgXE3U&t=666s
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    The difficult part of basic kumiko work is the prep work. Basically your best approach is to dimension within one-two hand plane shavings per side of accurate size. So if your dado kerfs are .125” and .250” respectively then your wood must be rough prepped to just barely oversized to the point where two or four (depending on how accurate you can get) plane shavings leaves a snug fit in the joints. They should not exert pressure on the joint causing it to expand and should not be loose.

If you’re sizing pieces to individual fits it will not be easy work, so do your best to keep that part very accurate.

Good kumiko stays together without glue.

Choose wood without runout. This is easy in small pieces. In large work I make extra so that if I missed a bit if runout and the part breaks I have a direct replacement ready. I cut with the grain when prepping to minimize runout.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-20-2019 at 10:07 AM.

I believe Mike Peckovich (Fine Woodworking) teaches a class at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking where you make a kumiko project. Not sure the length or the cost and it involves travel to the School which is just outside of Indianapolis. Sometimes, though, taking a hands-on class is the best way to start on a new technique to get the basics correct.

Lots of info online

There is a tremendous amount of information about Kumiko online. Enough to get you started just to see if it's something you want to pursue. If you decide it's your thing then there's no limit to what can be created. I'm not there yet. The work of Mike Pekovich is a good example of how to incorporate this work into functional cabinetry. The pics I've post here feature a white pine cabinet with cherry kumiko panel that I've recently completed.

Ron

kum1.jpg

kum4.jpg

yes, king is the source for good books. Be prepared tho, they are quite expensive.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    His book on the basics is $25, pretty inexpensive considering the information provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    yes, king is the source for good books. Be prepared tho, they are quite expensive.
    The library is my friend
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006