Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What 12" Combination Jointer/Planer should I get?

I've always heard it's 1.5X the combined length of the tables. Long tables just make it easier, but you can face or edge joint boards flat far longer than the length of the tables if you pay attention. But geometry still wins and Curt's example is what's going to happen to a board with that much bow in it regardless of how long the tables are. Take a chalk line and snap it on a badly bowed board so you have the least waste. You can't do any better than that w/o cutting it shorter first regardless of how long the jointer tables are.

John

When I set up my shop 9-10 years ago, I bought the Jet JJP-12 with straight blades (only way it came). It has worked well, changes over in 30 seconds and saves me a ton of shop space. I'm a hobbiest and most of the boards I use are under 5'. I check for coplanar every January when I recoat/treat all my tools' cast iron surfaces and rarely have to touch it. I just looked at the cost of a new Hammer A3-41 with 3 knives. It is $5,760. A new JJP-12, also 3 knives, $2,800. The difference is almost what I paid for my SawStop PCS. Sure, helical would have been nice (if they had it then) but I'm happy with my decision, my boards are square, I like the $$ and space savings provided by a combo unit, and love the SawStop I bought at the same time with my savings. Good luck with your decision. I am sure having done your research, it will be the right one for you.
    Last edited by john snowdon; 01-28-2019 at 10:28 PM. Reason: grammar

I'll admit the Hammer prices are high, but you are comparing a 12" Jet to a 16" Hammer, a little apples to ranges in size.

My A3-31 (12") was $3900 with the helical head, but the bill came to $5000 with a couple of options and shipping, which is often free with Jet tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I'll admit the Hammer prices are high, but you are comparing a 12" Jet to a 16" Hammer, a little apples to ranges in size.

My A3-31 (12") was $3900 with the helical head, but the bill came to $5000 with a couple of options and shipping, which is often free with Jet tools.
    Same here and I thought so too until I compared the pricing for the cheapest 12" jointer I could find new on the market and a good 12" floor standing planer both with helical heads. Then I realized the A3 series is priced right where it should be especially for the quality of tool it is.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Yup! My bad. I mistyped the google entry as a A3-41, not A3-31 and landed on a 16, not a 12 page. Sorry. Listed price is $4,195 for 3 knife. It is 4 hp.
    n
    Last edited by john snowdon; 01-29-2019 at 7:45 PM.

Hey Tony,

I see a bunch of people mentioning the Hammer to you.
    If you have not already, give Felder a call. 866-792-5288.

Someone will be glad to help you out. Keep your mind open in going through this process. There are a lot of great machines out there.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Derr View Post
    Hey Tony,

I see a bunch of people mentioning the Hammer to you.
    If you have not already, give Felder a call. 866-792-5288.

Someone will be glad to help you out. Keep your mind open in going through this process. There are a lot of great machines out there.

All the best
    I can honestly say that I will be saving up for the Hammer now. This thread has talked me into it. I was leaning towards this machine initially but if people were in the camp the extra cost wasn't worth it then I would not bother spending it. But I think I will be much more happy with the Hammer.