Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What 12" Combination Jointer/Planer should I get?

Hi Martin, I have a Hammer A3-31.

The longest boards I typically joint are about 6 feet long. I do have extension tables however I don't normally use them except on the planer outfeed (at 6 metres/minute feed small pieces were falling on the floor before I caught them).

The longest piece I've jointed has been a bed rail, I did use the extensions, short one on the infeed, long one on the outfeed.................Regards, Rod.

I've owned the Grizzly J/P combo unit for about 1.5 years now and am pretty happy with it. The Hammer units from what I've seen look very nice and the fact that you don't have to remove the fence in order to convert from jointer to planer seems like a great feature. As with all things Grizzly you tend to get a bit more than you pay for BUT there is always the chance you receive a machine that isn't up to spec and/or needs a ton of adjustment to be usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Siebert View Post
    I have a question for the folks that currently own one of these 12" combo machines...what is your honest opinion of how well they will face join a board??? Like 8 foot long??? I ask this because, one, they really seem cost effective, and two, they appear in the photo ads I have seen to have a somewhat short looking table length. My next machine will be a big 12 inch jointer. I have pretty long tables on the PM jointer I have now and I like the way I can fairly easily get a board flat and square. I feel like I wouldn't necessarily want to go with a machine that has shorter tables on it for this reason...
    It sounds like you answered your own question. In my experience, it’s a matter of expectations. If your expectation is to be able to use a 12” J/P just as easily as a stand-alone longbed jointer, then you will probably be disappointed. If your expectation is to have a compact, somewhat mobile machine that takes the place of two and frees up space in the shop, then you will probably be happy.

Erik

I have a question for the folks that currently own one of these 12" combo machines...what is your honest opinion of how well they will face join a board??? Like 8 foot long??? I ask this because, one, they really seem cost effective, and two, they appear in the photo ads I have seen to have a somewhat short looking table length.
    I'll ask you back how often you really need to flatten an 8' long board that's going to stay 8 feet long? Even if I had a wide jointer with long beds, I'd still be breaking my material down closer to component size before actually milling it flat and to thickness because that's the best way to get the best results. I do skim long boards so I can see what's there if they are rough, but pretty much never try to flatten something longer than about 5-6' for final use. A table or island top is the exception and I use auxiliary work support to help me control boards for that task.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used to have an Inca J/P, with tables only 32" long - total! I often face jointed stock 6' long, and sometimes even longer. Of course it required more attention than it does now with my MM FS-35, which seems really long to me at 63?", but it wasn't all that hard.

I'd much rather have a wide jointer with shorter tables than a narrow one with longer.

John

I have a question for the folks that currently own one of these 12" combo machines...what is your honest opinion of how well they will face join a board??? Like 8 foot long??? ....Thanks in advance for any info.
    Here are some table specs, you'd need a pretty huge jointer (10' long) to match the A3-31 possible bed length. These extensions, although pricey, will fit on the Infeed and Outfeed end. There are shorter ones available. I have a shorter one permanently attached to the planer outfield.

Outfeed table with extension
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-23-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Another Hammer A3-31 owner here and that would be my suggestion for at least the lowest option. Based on my research (assuming buying new only) I wouldnt recommend any combo unit less than the A3-31.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

ChrisA, what do you do when you change over to the planer? Remove the extensions and set them aside, or do they somehow stay connected to the jointer tables?

Yes, in fact, I've not really needed to use the long extension (in picture above) yet. I only have this one long extension, I'll buy a second one if and when I think I need it.

I just wanted to show that the bed on this machine can be extended and made quite long, not sure the other brand J/P's have this functionality.

The extension has a quick release handle (don't know what these are called) and it just slides off.

With the long extension on, you cannot switch the machine mode from jointing to planing without first taking the extension off, that takes about 20 seconds.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-23-2019 at 2:07 PM.

10. Gentlemen, thanks a million for your answers to my question!!! It sounds like everyone is entirely comfortable face jointing boards that are at least 5-6 feet in length. I wasn't aware that extension tables were available. One would think that a combination machine, being more complicated to manufacture, would cost at least as much as a jointer of the same capacity, but in this case even the good ones are still very cost effective when you compare. Never been a fan of combo type machines...nothing against them, just never gave one due consideration until now. The basic job and end result are simplistic. I have to say, at this point it doesn't appear that having a dedicated machine is an advantage especially since the combo is considerably less money. Thanks again fellas!!!

The big advantage to a J/P combo, Marin, is the wide jointer capacity with an identically sized thicknessing planer in the same footprint for a cost that's less than "big" separates. Combos are not for everyone and for every situation, but I honestly believe that most "solitary" woodworkers would not be negatively affected in a major way by owning and using a J/P combo once they discovered that the "common objections", such as changeover time (a minute if that) and bed length (not material most of the time and easily overcome when it is) were not bad like they thought they would be. Personal preference may be what it is, but "functionally"...these machines have what it takes to do the job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Pick and choose the best you can afford.

I have a hammer A-31 with the helical head. Depending on the weight of the board, I can comfortably do almost anything under 7 feet by myself with no extra set ups.

I do get some 10 and 12 foot boards. I either cut them in half, set up in feed and out feed tables or get a helper.

On rare occasions with thicker, long boards... with a promise of short time worked,... I call on the wife. I try to keep it quick and she’s learned the hand jesters as there’s not very much talking.

She appreciates the saying “thank you, you’re fired” as that is her cue, she is relieved from her dusty duties.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 01-24-2019 at 1:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The big advantage to a J/P combo, Marin, is the wide jointer capacity with an identically sized thicknessing planer in the same footprint for a cost that's less than "big" separates. Combos are not for everyone and for every situation, but I honestly believe that most "solitary" woodworkers would not be negatively affected in a major way by owning and using a J/P combo once they discovered that the "common objections", such as changeover time (a minute if that) and bed length (not material most of the time and easily overcome when it is) were not bad like they thought they would be. Personal preference may be what it is, but "functionally"...these machines have what it takes to do the job.
    With the higher end, self adjusting planer table... this could be a good benefit for a two or three men shop with a small footprint. I can do a full changeover and usually be set up in under two minutes. $5000 for a hammer to $15,000 for Martin or Format(Felder) is not in my recovery budget.

A Jointer/planer usually has a benefit on the planer mode. Besides the obvious, large planer. The amount of horsepower. Most jointers really only need one horse power for every 4 inches. Most planners need one horsepower for every 4 inches +1 hp for the feed rollers for every 12 inches. So... for most two in one machines, the cost it is a little heavier than one single machine. But… Single motor machines, that are two and one, I find usually cost about 3/5 of two separate machines. They usually need a bigger single motor or two motors. Yeah the footprint is usually decreased. But this is a sacrifice that usually needs to be weighed on individual basis.

Helical carbide heads most often require more horsepower due to cutting edge technology. Carbide will usually outlast high-speed steel almost 10 to 1. Value of carbide versus high-speed steel needs to be weighed by the consumer. I personally went with carbide inserts as my chainsaw hits way too many nails.

I usually produce my own lumber from others wanting trees cut down im residential. I use the scrap for heating, through a very efficient thermal syphon, air tight heating system, HVAC. 95% of my sawdust/chips are burn for a family/shop heat. One man’s garbage is another man’s gold.

I do have a neighbour lady which purchases clean oak long shavings for $5 a bag to put around her Rose Gardens for the winner. Waste not want not.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 01-24-2019 at 1:23 AM.

Gentlemen, thanks a million for your answers to my question!!! It sounds like everyone is entirely comfortable face jointing boards that are at least 5-6 feet in length. I wasn't aware that extension tables were available. One would think that a combination machine, being more complicated to manufacture, would cost at least as much as a jointer of the same capacity, but in this case even the good ones are still very cost effective when you compare. Never been a fan of combo type machines...nothing against them, just never gave one due consideration until now. The basic job and end result are simplistic. I have to say, at this point it doesn't appear that having a dedicated machine is an advantage especially since the combo is considerably less money. Thanks again fellas!!!
    I learned a lesson early in my ownership of the Jet JJP-12. I had a bowed poplar board about 9' long and thought to myself "this is why I bought a wide jointer". I was was able to remove the bow but the ends were about 3/8" thick by the time I was done Now I skip plane rought boards to get an idea of the grain then cut to rough length before flattening and planing. Much less waste and easier to handle. One rule of thumb I've heard is you can face joint a board 1.5X - 2X the length of the jointer beds.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    One rule of thumb I've heard is you can face joint a board 1.5X - 2X the length of the jointer beds.
    I've heard that before as well, and always wondered how/if that applied to the combo machines with the shorter beds? Also, is that 1.5-2x the total bed length (end to end) or just the infeed table length - I've heard it both ways...