Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What 12" Combination Jointer/Planer should I get?

What 12" Combination Jointer/Planer should I get?

This question may have been asked multiple times here but thought I'd start a new one. I am really looking hard at the 12" combo machines out there and thought I'd ask who has had experience with any of these machines. I have been using handplanes up to this point as a jointer and running everything through my lunchbox planer. I love hand tools but am over flattening everything by hand. I use stock wider than 8" quite often therefore want something larger and would really enjoy the space savings of not having to have a large 12" jointer as well as a planer. I work in my basement so shop space is limited. Getting tools down in the basement is another interesting task that prevents me from getting a long parallelogram jointer. Money is also something I really need to consider, this is just a hobby after all.

So having said that I really like the looks of the Minimax FS30 but is a bit more $ than I'm looking to spend. So I have been looking at the Jet JJP-12. This Jet is straight knives an I'm worried I will regret not getting the HH version. Is the helical head version worth the significant extra cost? Then there are the Grizzly versions. I own the Grizzly 17" Bandsaw and really like this. Are their Jointer/Planer combo machines like the G0634XP? It seems like you get a very nice machine with spiral cutter head for only $3K. This Grizzly is very tempting but I really don't want to be messing around with tables I can't get parallel or any other detrimental feature.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated or at least some advise on how to best spend the $. I'm sure some people on this section of the forum have experience with some of these machines. I usually hang out in the Neanderthal section so don't really see what happens over here. Again I'm sorry if this subject has been beat to death.

You'll get plenty of opinions on this one. My own choice was a Hammer A3-31, twenty years ago. For me, it has a good price/performance point. If it walked out in the middle of the night, I'd buy another tomorrow.

You should also use SMC's Search function to find the other zillion threads about this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    This question may have been asked multiple times here but thought I'd start a new one. I am really looking hard at the 12" combo machines out there and thought I'd ask who has had experience with any of these machines. I have been using handplanes up to this point as a jointer and running everything through my lunchbox planer. I love hand tools but am over flattening everything by hand. I use stock wider than 8" quite often therefore want something larger and would really enjoy the space savings of not having to have a large 12" jointer as well as a planer. I work in my basement so shop space is limited. Getting tools down in the basement is another interesting task that prevents me from getting a long parallelogram jointer. Money is also something I really need to consider, this is just a hobby after all.

So having said that I really like the looks of the Minimax FS30 but is a bit more $ than I'm looking to spend. So I have been looking at the Jet JJP-12. This Jet is straight knives an I'm worried I will regret not getting the HH version. Is the helical head version worth the significant extra cost?
    No experience with the Jet combo, I have Powermatic separates. But I wouldn't even _consider_ getting a machine that didn't at least have the option of a helical head. I used to do most of my finish jointing/thicknessing by hand, and that has dropped off dramatically, to the point where most of the time I'm just doing finish sanding or scraping. It is absolutely worth it. You must do this. Straight knives are, like, the stone age, man.

Other people can comment on the Jet, which seems to be the leading _affordable_ combo machine, by many accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You'll get plenty of opinions on this one. My own choice was a Hammer A3-31, twenty years ago. For me, it has a good price/performance point. If it walked out in the middle of the night, I'd buy another tomorrow.

You should also use SMC's Search function to find the other zillion threads about this topic.
    I have certainly looked at this machine as well. I just can't find a solid source to price this machine out at. Is there a good place in the US to buy a Hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I have certainly looked at this machine as well. I just can't find a solid source to price this machine out at. Is there a good place in the US to buy a Hammer?
    You need to order from Felder directly. Once you set up an account you can begin to get accurate pricing. The machines are built to order.

Minimax has the heaviest castings and a Tersa head suits me just fine. Owned the FS30 and now another Minimax combo. I use a helical head on my shaper and the Tersa on my jointer planer. Don't let the helical head hang you up, it is an option, but not clearly superior to the Tersa in my opinion and practice. None of the Euro equipment will let you down.

The price/performance of the Minimax or Hammer equipment likely represents a significantly better value than the Jet/Grizzly stuff.

For Hammer, at least, they sell direct to customer, so you'd contact one of their sales people if you're interested (Liz Rogers is one: E.Rogers@felderusa.com).

Current pricing on the A3-31 on their website is $4,995 with the helical head, but I know they've recently been on sale for significantly less.

Worth keeping in mind that the euro equipment is well-respected and will likely hold value much better than the Jet/Grizzly stuff.

Hammer A3-31 with Helical Cutter head and large extension table, got mine around September 2018. Delivered was just over $5k delivered.

Very pleased with it to date.

My first one was the Grizzly J/P. I am happy that I no longer own it. I would highly recommed the Minimax version as I have a 5-function Minimax combo that is in a totally different league compared to Grizzly. I have not used Hammer but seems to get very good reviews.

I have the FS30, and I am underwhelmed. Tables aren't flat and there is zero customer service. Fence isn't all that great either. So I wouldn't get too worried about not getting one.

I am on my second Hammer A3-31 and really like it.

Mine has the digital height gauge, love it, set the planer at the dimension I want, no test cuts, no measuring.

I also have a couple of table extensions I share with my J/P.......Regards, Rod

I've had the Rikon 25-210H for a number of years, a variant of the Jet 12" model. For a long time I struggled with keeping it calibrated as the front table stops (adjustable bolts that the table swing down onto) would drift over time. Some blue Loctite appears to have solved that problem as they've stayed put for the last year.

The biggest sin Rikon committed is not including the adjustment arm for the outfeed table. My outfeed table eventually drifted out of position so I ordered Jet parts to add that adjustment handle. A plus for Rikon is they include an outfeed table for the planer

But with that said if you want to spend time woodworking and not futzing with machines I'd just save up and buy the Hammer A3-31.

I own the Jet JJP12-HH with the helical head. I had some issues with it initially but those are resolved. I am very satisfied with it and would not spend the extra money on a more expensive machine if I had to do it again. I will say that you should get a helical cutter head regardless of brand. It is well worth it in terms of quietness and the ability to plane highly figured wood without chip out.

Blog Entries
    I have separate jointer and planer. I see no reason for a combination machine. They both do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I own the Jet JJP12-HH with the helical head. I had some issues with it initially but those are resolved. I am very satisfied with it and would not spend the extra money on a more expensive machine if I had to do it again. I will say that you should get a helical cutter head regardless of brand. It is well worth it in terms of quietness and the ability to plane highly figured wood without chip out.
    I agree with Art Mann. A helical head would be a must if I did it again. I have a 12" grizzly with the straight knives. It has done well for me. I have also seen the hammer version a couple of years ago. So much quieter than my grizzly. Probably due to the helical head more than anything. The grizzly switch over is easy and only takes a few seconds. The hammer looked even easier.