Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Revo 1836 Electronics Problems

Laguna Revo 1836 Electronics Problems

About 8 months ago, my lathe began acting up; it would lose power but didn't seem to be the motor. I contacted Laguna and they sent me new switches for the electronics governing the variable speeds. Great service and it worked -- until now. My lathe is starting to sporadically lose power again. Anyone else having similar issues?

Probably the potentiometer again. Those are cheaply made and need to be replaced often. Many Grizzly lathe owners keep a couple in stock. If you do a search here on the Grizzly potentiometer, you should see the issue.
    https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthr...athe&styleid=4
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-19-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Not sure what you mean by " lose power". Is the motor shutting off? I have an issue with my Revo 24/36 whereby (on occasion) there's no, or incorrect digital readout when the motor is spinning properly. Are we talking about the same thing. If so, I'm also interested in getting feedback.

Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Not sure what you mean by " lose power". Is the motor shutting off? I have an issue with my Revo 24/36 whereby (on occasion) there's no, or incorrect digital readout when the motor is spinning properly. Are we talking about the same thing. If so, I'm also interested in getting feedback.
    No, there doesn't seem to be a problem with the motor. The switches they had me replace the first time were in the control box in the headstock. Seems to be the same issue; motor is running fine but getting the wrong signals.....

potentiometer quality

If it's the potentiometer then just get a military spec potentiometer, look for the mil spec designation, it will cost like $10.00 compared to the cheaply originals. The fine dust gets every where and the cheap open wire wound potentiometers fail easily, the mil speck ones are closed case and will last.

If you find that source and Part Number please post. I just got an Revo 18/36 220V and will want to keep this information handy.
    I would also say to check all your wiring attachment points to make sure no screws have come lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Abernathy View Post
    [...] The switches they had me replace the first time were in the control box in the headstock. Seems to be the same issue; motor is running fine but getting the wrong signals.....
    I have had no issues with the electronics after a year and a half... And I am skeptical that you experienced TWO switch/pot failures in a relatively short time... A likely cause is one or more intermittent connections that temporarily improved when moved around as you replaced the switch and pot -- and vibration over time caused the issue to reoccur.

I remember seeing a wiring diagram and the connections between the controls and inverter were pretty straightforward. If you have a digital multi-meter or simple continuity tester, you could try to wiggle some wires to look for a sketchy connection (unplugged!!). Or, just replace the crimp connectors as a shotgun approach...

"Remember, there's always a reason, but sometimes we just don't know what it is..." And I am sure you will find it!

Ely

Hi Bob,

I suspect that the problem with your Revo may be the relay. I bought the 18-36 right when they came out and less than 6 mos I was having the problem you are describing. The lathe would be humming along and the power would just quit. I'd wiggle something on the display panel and it'd start back up. Then out again and so forth. I called Laguna and they sent me a replacement kill switch but no help. Next they sent a replacement relay; that was it. About 2 yrs later it started doing it again so I called and gave them my old case #. They promptly sent me another one, but for some reason the problem stopped and I haven't needed to install it.

Installing the relay was like putting a ship in a bottle- they've stuffed to much into the tiny space under the display panel and I broke a wire pin pushing it all back in.

As mentioned elsewhere here, the Laguna customer service was great, prompt, and knew the lathe well.

Good luck with it.

Steve

Haven't had that problem with my 2 year old lathe. I recently started using it like John Keeton described. I turn it on and used the speed control to stop it. I only press the stop when turning it off when finished and unplugging. I figure there is less operation of the switches and relay doing that.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Edward Weingarden

I had problems with my REVO 18/36 digital Readout. Gradually each number stopped displaying. I went into the box and saw that the 1/8" thick number display card had about 12 pins on the back that inserted into contact holes on a small board. The pins in the holes were not a tight fit. So I soldered each of the pins in the metal contact holes and I no Longer have that problem.

Joe Frank Porter

I just realized this original thread was posted in January and recently revived. Nonetheless, You Laguna Revo owners can see how I solved my particular problem.
    Last edited by Joe Frank Porter; 04-05-2019 at 12:27 PM.

I have had a merry go round experience with my Laguna 18-36, extending close to the entire time I have owned it. Power loss, and digital readout failures. Laguna has sent me three replacement headstocks, all of which have the same issue. The last communication I had with the company came from the actual manufacturer who blames electro magnetic interference at my residence. It is a source of distraction that I would like to resolve and am glad to have found this forum where others have had a similar experience.
    My lathe is the center piece of my shop and is used daily. I'm going to explore the suggestions made at this forum and will provide updated results from my experience.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wargo View Post
    I have had a merry go round experience with my Laguna 18-36, extending close to the entire time I have owned it. Power loss, and digital readout failures. Laguna has sent me three replacement headstocks, all of which have the same issue. The last communication I had with the company came from the actual manufacturer who blames electro magnetic interference at my residence. It is a source of distraction that I would like to resolve and am glad to have found this forum where others have had a similar experience.
    My lathe is the center piece of my shop and is used daily. I'm going to explore the suggestions made at this forum and will provide updated results from my experience.
    That is the first time I've ever heard of "electro magnetic interference" affecting a lathe. I would venture a guess that unless you are very near some type of high voltage wires running very near your house, like a main power line with those huge towers, then that is not the problem. I'd certainly like to hear from some of the electrical engineers who frequent this forum for some clarification. Sparky's can at times help with things like this.

I wonder if there is some sort of connection in the serial numbers on these issues. Perhaps a run with a faulty part in the manufacturing line? This seems very odd to me!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If the electromagnetic interference is from an external field that acts on the electronics, you can try making a Faraday cage: wrap the electronics tightly with foil or screen (typically copper foil or copper screen is used) and ground well. Be careful to use an insulating layer inside if the cage will contact the electronics or wires.

But I'd do this first: put an oscilloscope on the line wiring at the lathe and look for spikes or high frequency "noise" signals riding on the 220v sine wave. If found, trace back to the source - such noise can be removed by filtering but it's better to shield it or fix the source. (An errant machine can feed noise back into your line.) If you don't have an oscilloscope (why not?!) I'm sure someone in your area does and would be willing to check your power - contact a local Makers club. If you provided your location in your profile someone reading may be near and volunteer. We geeks love to do stuff like that!

If the power line to your shop/lathe runs parallel to some other wires they can pick up noise by induction. An example is under high voltage power lines. However, without testing it seems the phase would be the same and not create noise. (I experienced this induction once when using my telescope under some power lines - the metal on the tripod legs picked up so much that it felt funny to my hand and I could see small arcs between the tripod and my hand in the dark!)

JKJ

Maybe you should wear an aluminum foil hat at your home to combat that electro magnetic interference for your brain! Make one for the lathe too. That's a lot of horse pucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Maybe you should wear an aluminum foil hat at your home to combat that electro magnetic interference for your brain! Make one for the lathe too. That's a lot of horse pucky.
    Not sure of your intended target for "That's" in the horse pucky statement. Laguna's statement relayed from the drive manufacturer?

Electromagnetic interference through the air made one of my digital calipers unusable near my Powermatic lathe. I traced it to one of the LED task light bulbs at the lathe. The numbers on the caliper display would go crazy if it came within about 3' of the light.

JKJ