Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any recommendations on where to get good hardwoods in GA

1. This thread has pointed out a couple places that are sort of close that I never knew about. I think it's really nice to be able to see prices and not have to call each time. The couple I saw were a bit different that what I pay and that leads me to ask: What do you all usually pay for, say, 4/4 walnut FAS in Georgia. My price lately has been about $5.45 board foot. White Oak 5/4 was $4.15 last week.

What is your experience?

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I will start trying these vendors as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hosler View Post
    I will start trying these vendors as soon as possible.
    Steven, please report back with your independent findings. I, as a local, am interested.

I never said I pay list price I buy a lot of lumber from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    I make it a point to go see Danny Hamsley every time I visit family in Georgia.

Great guy. VERY knowledgeable. He has a degree in forestry and worked in the industry for decades.

It's always a fun experience and I never come away empty handed.
    Ditto the recommendations for Danny Hamsley at Hamsley Hardwoods. He sells kiln dried materials and you will not find a more knowledgeable, or nicer guy to do business with.

Mr. Hamsley is very highly regarded by a lot of professionals in the industry with respect to his forestry, milling and drying knowledge. He is one of the few "go-to" guys in the USA that the rest of us call when we are stumped about a wood related issue, or need some specialized advice.

Danny also has a tremendous amount of personal integrity and you can buy from him with confidence.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 01-27-2019 at 9:30 PM.

I met Danny Hamsley a few years ago. I was returning from Florida and picked up some Sycamore for a fellow Creeker and played courier. Danny was a real stand up guy and genuinely pleasant to deal with. I know from his posts on here he is an expert when it comes to wood. I have no doubt he would treat you right too. He's near Perry Georgia because that's where we met to make the pickup. I wish I were in his area because he would be a go to source for me.

Another vote for Danny Hamsley. I have purchased persimmon from him, and it is excellent stuff. I know he dries and sells a lot of other species of timber, and he's an extremely knowledgeable wood guy. I'm a happy customer, and will buy from him again when my current supply runs out.
    Jeff