Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations on where to get good hardwoods in GA

Any recommendations on where to get good hardwoods in GA

I recently moved to central GA (about midway between Atlanta and Macon). I have been looking for good hardwood sources in the area. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Several options in aTL. Danny Hamsley is a member here located in Perry GA

I've heard some good reports of The Wood Yard in Concord, GA, although I haven't been there myself. I had planned to go but never have.

I don't know if Danny Hamsley sells dried lumber or not but he likely has a big enough operation to have a kiln, I believe. I'd definitely check him out. He is certainly very knowledgeable and accommodating.

Depemds what you mean by "in the area." Suwanee Lumber has a pretty good stock and pricing. Atlanta Wood Products in Smyrna is pricier but a good source as well.

I'm in a lumberyard free area of South Carolina so I occasionally have to drive down to Suwanne Lumber.

Not a bad drive from the NE, maybe not-so-good for the OP south of the city. Not always good communication from them but they do have good stock and if you need something they will mill it the same day.

Peach State Lumber in Kennesaw. Check out their website.
    http://www.peachstatelumber.com/index.html

I live in SW Ga. and whenever I go to Atlanta, usually 2-3 times a year, I try to incorporate a trip up to Kennesaw to buy. Good folks and decent prices. They sometimes have good sells on some nice stuff. Worth the trip.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

CAG lumber in Gainesville. They have a website. Great folks with lots of inventory

I'll 2nd the woodyard in concord.

Excellent prices, considering all their lumber is FAS.

I buy all my lumber exclusively from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post

I don't know if Danny Hamsley sells dried lumber or not but he likely has a big enough operation to have a kiln, I believe. I'd definitely check him out. He is certainly very knowledgeable and accommodating.
    Danny has a condensing kiln. I got some really nice QSWO a while back. As you say, a really nice guy.

Rick Clark at Woodgenesis LLC in McDonnah sells rough sawn hardwoods (see- very reasonable prices). He has a Woodmizer LT 40 super hydrolic and sells lumber on the side. I haven't seen him in a couple of years but I'm assuming he's still in business. PM me and I can get you a phone number for him. His stuff is air dried (12% MC). I built a solar kiln to dry mine to 7% - works like a charm and I get my oak etc at about 30 c BF when he cuts my trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Behrens View Post
    CAG lumber in Gainesville. Great folks with lots of inventory
    Yes, Stephen Brown is a very nice man. I've gotten lots of soft maple from him. The last show I was at, he was there with loads of imported wood. I didn't know he's selling non-native species now.

..And, by the way, Steven, if it's imported woods or veneers you're looking for, no one has a better selection than Carlton McLendon Hardwoods by the Georgia Tech campus downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Horne View Post
    I'll 2nd the woodyard in concord.
    Wow, pricey down there. About 30% more than I pay usually. I like that they list the prices online though.

The wood yard is definitely a great place to buy lumber. Rick is a first class guy.

I make it a point to go see Danny Hamsley every time I visit family in Georgia.

Great guy. VERY knowledgeable. He has a degree in forestry and worked in the industry for decades.

It's always a fun experience and I never come away empty handed.